Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #131  
IMG_1981.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg

Here is the 1835M photos of the same area for reference.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #132  
After looking at all the pictures again, I wonder if there isn't some way to weld a steel bracket to some other steel braket on the tractor that will offer some additional degree of stability to the lift arm. Much like the other models show. Surely this is possible and I wouldn't be surprised if some vendor doesn't sell something like that.

I've seen similar issues like this over the years and it seems we always found a way to add additional support where needed. This does not need to break again and it probably won't until the day after warranty expires.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #133  
View attachment 671384
View attachment 671385

Here is the 1835M photos of the same area for reference.

Would seem to be the with a ball joint where main arm attached to housing the only way it is really venerable to breaking is if stabilizer allows to much side movement of arm as it tries to move beyond limits imposed by ball joint...

Dale

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #134  
Exactly and the limits imposed by the ball joint is pretty wide in my opinion you should be easily able to tighten the stabilizers in those limits.

I have a 1740M with the same design approaching 300 hrs with a lot of roading with a 900 lbs snowblower bouncing at the back on a gravel road... no problem so far. Used a box blade and a two row plow in rocky ground too without issues.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #135  
Exactly and the limits imposed by the ball joint is pretty wide in my opinion you should be easily able to tighten the stabilizers in those limits.

I have a 1740M with the same design approaching 300 hrs with a lot of roading with a 900 lbs snowblower bouncing at the back on a gravel road... no problem so far. Used a box blade and a two row plow in rocky ground too without issues.

Yeah... I have a QH on my 1715 and I have the side play adjusted so there is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch side play all through its vertical travel....

Dale

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #136  
I had a John Deere 850 with a rotary cutter - stored inside. The ball rusted inside the 3pt arm, and it broke off about 3" back from the end from metal fatigue. No big deal to weld it back on, but it took a lot to free up that ball. I now spray the balls with penetrating oil now and again.

If you think about it most attachments have a pin mounted the same way as the OP's tractor and they don't seem to fail. That said, if there is a failure it is a lot more costly if a axle housing breaks as opposed top a piece of angle iron bending. It seems like a weak design feature to me.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #137  
I had a John Deere 850 with a rotary cutter - stored inside. The ball rusted inside the 3pt arm, and it broke off about 3" back from the end from metal fatigue. No big deal to weld it back on, but it took a lot to free up that ball. I now spray the balls with penetrating oil now and again.

If you think about it most attachments have a pin mounted the same way as the OP's tractor and they don't seem to fail. That said, if there is a failure it is a lot more costly if a axle housing breaks as opposed top a piece of angle iron bending. It seems like a weak design feature to me.

That's because almost NONE of the attachments are cast metal where the attachment pin is mounted ! Essentially all are mild steel or some form of steel far less brittle than cast iron.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #138  
I agree. My last sentence is ...

It seems like a weak design feature to me.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?
   / Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #140  
That's because almost NONE of the attachments are cast metal where the attachment pin is mounted ! Essentially all are mild steel or some form of steel far less brittle than cast iron.
But is almost certainly not cast iron but cast steel and that is something completely different.