Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #21  
Saw a video on saw "cold seizures". Never knew or heard of such a thing. Apparently best to warm a saw up before use!

That happens a lot with 2 stroke snowmobile engines when the operators do not have the smarts to properly warm up their engines before beating on them. Have seem many that end up with a 4 corner seize. Melts the aluminium right onto the cylinder walls.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #22  
That happens a lot with 2 stroke snowmobile engines when the operators do not have the smarts to properly warm up their engines before beating on them. Have seem many that end up with a 4 corner seize. Melts the aluminium right onto the cylinder walls.

Yep, the scoring lines are right where the cylinder studs are. We too saw them mainly in liquid cooled sleds, not so much with air cooled sleds.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #23  
I admit i was looking for an excuse to buy a new STIHL Chainsaw.

AHA!... Now we know the rest of the story!.. :)

But I bet you could have gotten $40 or $50 bucks for that Poulin at any swap-meet, If you could have started it easily in front of them and threw in the new chain too boot. Oh well.

Moss, you procedure sounds exactly what I did to replace the hose tubing and filter in my weed-eater. Same idea.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #24  
Glad you got something that you like much better. :thumbsup:

I just hate to see people told 4 hours for what would take a professional probably 15 minutes, as I did it in half an hour with no prior experience.

Good luck with your new saw. :)

Yep, but that's 4 hours if you are not there looking over his shoulder.
That's one reason why I only take my car to a garage that lets me observe.

On one car (leased) they claimed a carb OH and charged accordingly.
Well that dirty, filthy carb blew black smoke and barfed when I collected the car.
Was an instant mega refund with many apologies, lesson learned!

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #25  
The point is to always get a few opinions when something sounds overly expensive.

I had a chevy pickup that had a gas tank leak. I had a garage near my employer change out the fuel tank. I left to go home and the truck started blowing black smoke. I took it back and they told me the carb was bad and it needed to be replaced for $600-800. I asked if they could rebuild it. They said it's not rebuildable. I called the autoparts store and they had a rebuild kit. I thought about doing it myself, but then thought, hey, it ran fine before they touched it. I took it to another mechanic a few blocks away and asked him to check it out. He called me an hour later and said he sprayed 1/2 a can of carb cleaner in it and all is well. $17. He apologized for having to charge me for the entire can of carb cleaner. He was an albino and passed away from an autoimmune disease a few years later, but he got my business for as long as he could continue to work.

There's rotten people in every profession. But there are good ones as well.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #26  
Yep, but that's 4 hours if you are not there looking over his shoulder.
That's one reason why I only take my car to a garage that lets me observe.

On one car (leased) they claimed a carb OH and charged accordingly.
Well that dirty, filthy carb blew black smoke and barfed when I collected the car.
Was an instant mega refund with many apologies, lesson learned!

After market shops will sometimes allow owners into the shop.
Dealers ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT!

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #27  
There's rotten people in every profession. But there are good ones as well.

Very well said. And very true.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #28  
I"m curious if it was a Stihl or a small independent shop. Not that it matters. An inexpensive saw that's 13 years old is a no-win situation for them. They still have to take the time to talk to you; and assume that what you tell them is really the only thing wrong with it. If it turns out that there are other problems from it setting they either fix it; or listen to the customer complain that he paid X dollars and it still doesn't run.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it.
It was very good friend who I have known over 30+years working in my local STHIL dealers service Department not where I bought the Poulan 13 years ago because their shop rate is $95 an hour it would be better just to buy another Poulan for $154 what really was my idea was to buy another chainsaw and this is where I ended up with the STHIL 211 it finished my bush project is a really good small chainsaw but I just wanted another more powerful saw this is where I bought the 261.
Now I have two chainsaws and just maybe a Husky 572 might follow me home someday.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #30  
When I was a kid a neighbor (who's son was a couple years older than me) kind of become the local handyman for repairing small engines. He didn't charge an arm and leg and was honest. Learned a lot from him which is why I do almost all repairs myself. Back then it was nothing to end up with a $50 bill to get a $100 push mower running at the beginning of the season at a dealer. Usually for $15 or so he would get it running great. Simple things like clean and adjust the points, check the air gap for the coil, and clean the carb. It got to the point where he would bring home push mowers from the dump. Some were for free parts while others he got running and sold.