Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it.
When I was a kid a neighbor (who's son was a couple years older than me) kind of become the local handyman for repairing small engines. He didn't charge an arm and leg and was honest. Learned a lot from him which is why I do almost all repairs myself. Back then it was nothing to end up with a $50 bill to get a $100 push mower running at the beginning of the season at a dealer. Usually for $15 or so he would get it running great. Simple things like clean and adjust the points, check the air gap for the coil, and clean the carb. It got to the point where he would bring home push mowers from the dump. Some were for free parts while others he got running and sold.

Sadly them days are long gone, my friend always tries to give me a break, he has parts from a junked mower that still has good wheels and will replace my worn out ones, saving me $50 each "Honda has really raised prices on parts" but he can't control the shops labor prices.

My friend does his best to help me but i understand, he has a job to do for his Company and in the end i am just another Customer getting something fixed.

When i first met him they did not log each job into a computer today all jobs are logged it and he has to log into each job.

Another example "not a mower or chainsaw" I and many others were invited our my local Toyota Dealers Service Dept. "meet our service people" one evening, and as we were all eating cold food, this guy he was a service writer you know the guy who first meets you and gets you set up for service, first thing this young guy said was Quote: us service writers are on commission end of Quote.
Everyone stoped eating you could have heard a pin drop, and as soon as many could they headed for the door me included, i never ever returned for the free oil changes they offered, just as i have always done and do today i change my own oil.

Lots have changed over the past many years and not all for the good.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it. #32  
When I was a kid a neighbor (who's son was a couple years older than me) kind of become the local handyman for repairing small engines. He didn't charge an arm and leg and was honest. Learned a lot from him which is why I do almost all repairs myself. Back then it was nothing to end up with a $50 bill to get a $100 push mower running at the beginning of the season at a dealer. Usually for $15 or so he would get it running great. Simple things like clean and adjust the points, check the air gap for the coil, and clean the carb. It got to the point where he would bring home push mowers from the dump. Some were for free parts while others he got running and sold.

Yet there's a difference between somebody like him, and a shopowner who's trying to earn a living, pay his taxes, keep his shop stocked and maybe pay an employee or two.

/ Some times it's best to leave things alone, if it aint broke don't try fixing it.
Here's my favorite tech info source for small engine maintenance/repair: Steve's Small Engine Saloon Saving You Money - Small engine repair video series
Steve's videos are entertaining and informative.

Yes steve is one great guy his videos have been a great help to me in both setting up my chainsaws, and doing hand sharping of the chains.

One simple item i found that i had not seen or been told about, is when adjusting the chain on the bar you need to grasp the tip of the bar lifting up as you adjust chain, watching chain fit into bottom slot of bar then tighten the bar holding nuts.