Tube gate wheels.

/ Tube gate wheels. #1  

ChuckT

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1510D
I'm puzzled by the wheels I see for tube gates. The spring, at least in the version I'm looking at, is captured by a u shaped bracket. But shouldn't the spring be anchored to the vertical axle (that is affixed to the wheel)? So that the wheel stays in contact with the uneven ground while the gate pivots. Else why have the spring at all?

/ Tube gate wheels. #3  
The spring is anchored to the shaft with a cotter pin so the wheel can move up and down:

spring pinned.JPG
spring wheel.jpg

/ Tube gate wheels.
Xfaxman your picture makes sense to me. But the ones I've seen have that bottom pin _under_ the lower leg of the "U" trapping that leg against the spring. !!?
Makes more sense to me to mount the spring so that it keeps the wheel in contact with the ground rather than the "U".

/ Tube gate wheels. #5  
The spring is anchored to the shaft with a cotter pin so the wheel can move up and down:

View attachment 676461View attachment 676462

The wheel pictured is solid, and if it's like the ones I've used, it's about 4 inches in diameter. Not a good choice unless the ground is very hard and smooth. Much better are the gate castors with 8 inch pneumatic wheels, they handle rough ground with ease... and they work great.

/ Tube gate wheels.
Yes the 8" wheels are good. It's just that they're HUGE!
The Amazon delivery today was 2 of the 4" wheels and ... these are pinned as your picture. I don't know where the other weird wheel that is on the gate came from.

/ Tube gate wheels. #7  
I don’t believe I’d want pneumatic tires on the gate wheel as the Northern Tool pic shows

/ Tube gate wheels.
Some of the wheels I looked at were "semi-pneumatic" (whatever that is) and didn't inflate.

/ Tube gate wheels. #9  
I'm puzzled by the wheels I see for tube gates. The spring, at least in the version I'm looking at, is captured by a u shaped bracket. But shouldn't the spring be anchored to the vertical axle (that is affixed to the wheel)? So that the wheel stays in contact with the uneven ground while the gate pivots. Else why have the spring at all?

All I did for the 16FT wide gates was get the 6 inch caster wheels from Menards. Then with a backing plate, ran the bolts thru. Works really nice on gravel and pasture grass too.

https://www.menards.com/main/hardwa...-rigid-caster-wheel/3061m/p-1444442245544.htm

/ Tube gate wheels. #10  
Rather small wheel. I used an old lawn mower wheel on the neighbor's gate a long time ago. Think the new neighbor there still has same wheel on it.

Just drill a hole through to take a bolt that the lawn mower wheel will slide onto.