Slope mower tires and wheels

/ Slope mower tires and wheels #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
Have any of you that have slope mowers converted from dual wheels to single wheels? If so what was your reason for doing it? And also what tire tread did you get? I am thinking of converting my 1845 dual wheels to single because if you run duals in snow you end up with snow build up between the tires and the same with mud. On one occasion it broke the valve stem off. What are the negatives of running singles besides losing some slope capabilities.

/ Slope mower tires and wheels #2  
I'd think you'd have better traction in snow with singles but less floatation in mud.

/ Slope mower tires and wheels #3  
I have run my 1850 with only singles for a few years now. But they are on different wheels mounted with adapters that make the stance wider. It helps with installing chains etc too. The only time I would put the duals back on is if the ground was very soft or if snow plowing around very deep ditches. I have been on 30° slopes no problem. I looked and my site went down today so I am in the middle of a restore.

Ken

/ Slope mower tires and wheels
I talked to Terry and he said I would need new wider rims and for tires he said 26 x 12 -12 . Ken what size spacers did you use?

/ Slope mower tires and wheels #5  
They are not spacers but adapter plates to allow a non-PT wheel to be used. I had purchased some inexpensive tires mounted on wheels after being told about them here. Here are pictures of the adapters installed on the wheels and how much offset is provided by the new wheels.

Ken

5-Plate Installed_6305.jpg
7-Clearance_6310.jpg

Didn't your 1850 have 26 x 12 - 12 tires from the factory if so why did you go with 24 x 12 - 12 tires? I bought a set of Kubota tractor tires and rims but they will not work, the bolt pattern is right but the hub is in the center of the wheel and the tire goes up against the frame and brake.

/ Slope mower tires and wheels #7  
Sorry, whatever size is factory is what I have which now that you mention it, I believe is 26 x 12 - 12. My website is down so I was going by memory.

That would be a pretty easy spacer to make. Harder would be to cut off the hub and reweld with an offset.

Ken

/ Slope mower tires and wheels #8  
I generally run singles on the 1850, definitely increases ground pressure and sinks a bit more on soft ground. But I rarely need the duals so I don't run them.

/ Slope mower tires and wheels #9  
Nice looking tires but the rims are not the same bolt pattern as the power trac, will you buy adapters?