Chop Saw Reccomendations

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #41  
The abrasive blade saws work good if you don't mind the hot sparks. Just get you a dressing stone for grinding wheels and when it gets loaded up just touch the wheel with it and that well clean it. And away you go again with cleaner cut and less heat.
Now I don't mean that wheel dresser with a lot of little star wheels , You want the dressing Stone !!!!

I use a piece of 60 grit grinding wheel that self destructed....

Dale

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #42  
" Just get you a dressing stone for grinding wheels and when it gets loaded up just touch the wheel with it and that well clean it. And away you go again with cleaner cut and less heat."

Good tip, wish I'd have thought of that. Makes sense.

It is on the same wave length as big erasers for wood sanding discs

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #43  
Not considering monetary value, if I had to get rid of abrasive chop saw, good quality horiz band saw, torches or plazma and keep only one, it would be the abrasive shop saw. Of course, the torches are more useful for heating and repairs.

Mind you I do have friends with a lot ot resources, and try and do most of my work there.

Anyway, in that sense, isn't it odd that the most useful tool is the cheapest. Doesn't happen very often.

Last edited:
   / Chop Saw Reccomendations #44  
Just to debunk this gentleman's opinion, the name Fein is on the saw, about 3 inches away from the hand that turns the blade on.

The name Jancy is not on the saw but that company does make the blade.

And as I said earlier, it was square out of the box, hard to improve on that.

This all make me wonder how much of it is embellished, maybe from a Dewalt employee?

View attachment 679197

Mine's a bit more dirty... saw_2058.jpgsaw_2056.jpg

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #45  
There is a learning curve for any tool especially a cold cut saw. Fein is one of the best. Adding these jaws makes it better and pays for extended blade life. Cutting square tubing on the diamond is easier on blades. Must for round stock.

Holding steel firmly from moving a must. Cast bases flex less than pressed steel when comparing.

100724-MKM 050326100724 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SQ5OO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_P5F1FbMZN4CPT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They are perfect fit on Fein and MK Morse cold cut chop saws. Well worth modifications to other saws.

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #46  
There is a learning curve for any tool especially a cold cut saw. Fein is one of the best. Adding these jaws makes it better and pays for extended blade life. Cutting square tubing on the diamond is easier on blades. Must for round stock.

Holding steel firmly from moving a must. Cast bases flex less than pressed steel when comparing.

100724-MKM 050326100724 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SQ5OO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_P5F1FbMZN4CPT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They are perfect fit on Fein and MK Morse cold cut chop saws. Well worth modifications to other saws.

That link was from Amazon for $29. Now goes to Walmart??? $72???
Don’t know how that happens.

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #48  
Excellent discussion, and like most metal working and wood working projects there is more than one way to skin a cat.
My tool collection includes the usual right angle grinders, abrasive cut iff saw, acetylene torch, and the crown jewel of metal cutting, a 1940s vintage Kalamazoo 8”x 16” horizontal bandsaw.

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone invested in a plasma cutter and after using it regretted the decision?
Aside from using a cutting torch, my options for cutting steel plate are limited and for several months have been looking at plasma and the Hypertherm XP45 is to die for but a huge dent in the pocket book. Ideally I would like the capacity to cut 1/2” plate but in reality, 1/4 to 3/8” thick would be 99% of my cutting needs.
Any suggestions?

B. John

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #49  
Funny thing bout cutting, no matter how many methods you got, der always a new toy in de pipeline.

Started cutting wid a hacksaw, pretty sure dull blade, went to heaven when I got O/A torch, factor in cost of gas and runnin fer full cylinder der had to be a better way. .401 air chisels were other way for a while, dey break and air expensive buy electric fer compressor delivered to door. Got bright idea to mount 3" zip disk on die grinder one day and had whole new cutting system. Out ahead of de curve I was. Got 8" abrasive disk for Porter Cable skilsaw too for long cuts, slicker den snot on a doorknob fer decking and no grinding.

Walked in a shop one day and eyeballed cabinet bigger den my fridge wid 3 gas bottles hangin off back. It was PLASMA de new miracle, only cost what a car did, expensive to run wid all dem gases, but it sliced aluminum, copper, stainless & steel, in fact you layer em all up and it slice right thru all of de sammich. OK, real nice, but I don't gotta have but on de maybe some day list. Truth to tell I really don't have use.

While later I see first computer run x y plasma cutting tin in a tank of water in sheet metal shop. Year later same shop Bankrupt banker cryin about financed plasma swimmin pool loss of value. (removed) sure ain't bidding. Nice toy but if don't earn its keep not worth havin. Did notice it run on compressed air. No more tanks. Maybe? Talked to welding supply guy, demoed trade in Miller ZipCut. Guy who traded moved to bigger machine. Wound up ownin de Zip fer just $1600 1980s Dollars. Spent couple hundred more on consumables. Machine like yo-yo back and forth to dealer. He took back after about 5th trip. Eventually got Thermal Dynamics X somting on deal and it works 20 years later. Got another TD by Esab wid 1Gun, still in box 2 years later.

Bottom line, guy building in garage got little need of more tools, but got real need to learn to use tools he got. (removed) & lot of other men built everything was needed wid torch, stick welder and grinder 70 years back, still can. You want toy, stand up and be man enough to say you collecting toys. I can buy any metal cut to my dimensions cheaper den I can buy & cut. Owning tools not make you craftsman, learning to use tools you got does.

Guess don't matter much, Amazoom & Walmart got pretty pictures and have tool to your door in just days if it fits on yer Master Card. Dey call it Master Card cause dat card is your master.

/ Chop Saw Reccomendations #50  
Excellent discussion, and like most metal working and wood working projects there is more than one way to skin a cat.
My tool collection includes the usual right angle grinders, abrasive cut iff saw, acetylene torch, and the crown jewel of metal cutting, a 1940s vintage Kalamazoo 8”x 16” horizontal bandsaw.

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone invested in a plasma cutter and after using it regretted the decision?
Aside from using a cutting torch, my options for cutting steel plate are limited and for several months have been looking at plasma and the Hypertherm XP45 is to die for but a huge dent in the pocket book. Ideally I would like the capacity to cut 1/2” plate but in reality, 1/4 to 3/8” thick would be 99% of my cutting needs.
Any suggestions?

B. John

I am not proficient with a torch and cutting. I don't own one. Would I get a plasma if I did? Maybe to me. That depends on what about plasma cutter appeal to you. I know guys use jigs and circle cutters when torch cutting. I have the PM 45 . I chose that one for the dependability, the fact that I can drag the tip and that I can also get a machine torch should I get a table set up in a few years- using a computer with a much steadier hand. I suppose that just about any of the cutting I've done so far , I could have done with a torch. If I had one. You need a big compressor to support the plasma. That would be another factor. Here's my current CAD program:CAD.jpg