My Front Gate Project

/ My Front Gate Project
View attachment 679485
I went with a GTO gate opener, which was a bit heavier duty than the Mighty Mule. I also went with solar panels and batteries and have been using it 20 months so far. This is the kit I used before adding solar panels, extra battery, keypad and the exit wand that opens it automatically as you exit.

GTO / Linear Pro SW32XLS Dual Gate Opener w/ Free Extra Remote (PRO-SW32XLS)

We've been very pleased with this. A buddy has the Mighty Mule and his is much slower. I also used farm gates similar to yours. Eventually we'll do some nicer columns I suppose but we wanted it to look like it goes back into the woods to keep sight seeing tourists out. It's a mile from the front beach so people would just drive on back to the property looking around. We were able to put a stop to that .before we began any building

Before deciding on which opener to buy, I did a bunch of online searches to read as many reviews as I could, and watched more Youtube videos then I can remember. What's funny is that I never heard of the GTO opener. It never came up in any of my searches.

/ My Front Gate Project #72  
I will try setting the force adjustment up. Interesting that this only happens after going below 30 at night, Only in the morning, and has never happened before. And it got a lot colder last year.

/ My Front Gate Project #73  
Before deciding on which opener to buy, I did a bunch of online searches to read as many reviews as I could, and watched more Youtube videos then I can remember. What's funny is that I never heard of the GTO opener. It never came up in any of my searches.

GTO (Gates That Open) makes Mighty Mule openers and others: Company Information - Linear Pro Access

/ My Front Gate Project #74  
Xfaxman, did not know that is interesting. I wish I was young enough to have a new idea. But I have new ideas everyday. The problem is they are the same ones I had yesterday, but forgot. Maybe I will have some more new ones tomorrow.

/ My Front Gate Project
GTO (Gates That Open) makes Mighty Mule openers and others: Company Information - Linear Pro Access

Thanks for the link. For me, I decided that I did not want a hydraulic cylinder type of opener. Once I learned about the screw type openers, I felt that was a much better design for the long term. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

/ My Front Gate Project #76  
Thanks for the link. For me, I decided that I did not want a hydraulic cylinder type of opener. Once I learned about the screw type openers, I felt that was a much better design for the long term. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

Eddie

Are you going to wrap the concrete block columns with stone?

/ My Front Gate Project
Yes, but probably not until the Spring. We bought a male goat that has me under a timeline to build a goat barn for my girls to have babies. We converted the area in the barn that they used last time into another chicken coop, so now I want to build a dedicated Goat addition to my barn and incorporate a handling system, and areas to hold individual goats that is easy to get to for feeding. Once that is done, and probably another couple of projects that need to get done, I'll order the fake rock for the columns to match the other columns.

The next thing that I need to do on the gate is dig my trench and bury the cable for the sensor when leaving my place. It's currently just laying on top of the leaves, and when mowing season starts up again, I really need that cable to be in the ground.

/ My Front Gate Project #78  
Yes, but probably not until the Spring. We bought a male goat that has me under a timeline to build a goat barn for my girls to have babies. We converted the area in the barn that they used last time into another chicken coop, so now I want to build a dedicated Goat addition to my barn and incorporate a handling system, and areas to hold individual goats that is easy to get to for feeding. Once that is done, and probably another couple of projects that need to get done, I'll order the fake rock for the columns to match the other columns.

The next thing that I need to do on the gate is dig my trench and bury the cable for the sensor when leaving my place. It's currently just laying on top of the leaves, and when mowing season starts up again, I really need that cable to be in the ground.

Hum..mmm....to bury that cable....rent a trencher, or buy a backhoe?:laughing:
Actually, you could buy a subsoiler, with a pipe puller attachment from Agri Supply for cheap money.
I have one,....it is a nice tool

/ My Front Gate Project
I have a riding trencher and a backhoe, but in this case, I think it will be easier to just dig the dirt with a shovel. With the trencher, or the backhoe, getting the ground to look nice afterwards is more work then I'll have to do if I just do it the old fashioned way.

/ My Front Gate Project #80  
Eddie, I purchased the sensor but never installed it. My gate is close to the hay barn and I am thinking that it would pick up the tractor. I one that I purchased picks up the metal coming by it.