Price on a used L2800HST?

/ Price on a used L2800HST? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
What ballpark price range is reasonable for a 2005 L2800HST with FEL in the Vermont/New York area. It's in good running order, with about 500 hours.

I realize this depends on a lot of things. I don't have a lot of info on the tractor yet, just trying to help a friend who is looking get an idea of where his budget should be.

Any particular problem areas he should be sure to look for?

/ Price on a used L2800HST? #2  
It sounds like he is looking to buy one? That year model (like mine) had the really jerky 3 point hitch (I had my 3 point valve replaced - if I did not get it replace... not sure I would love my tractor like I do...) If you want to test it out, put a heavy implement on the 3ph and raise the hitch up very slowly but in a steady motion. See if that's fine with him, most people it's fine but others, not so much.

It was about $16K new - not sure I would sell mine for that now...

Other issues (that should have been corrected by now)... PTO cable would break because the lever was too short. Replacement has a longer lever. Return hydraulic hoses (2" hose by the right foot) would crack and make the FEL and 3PH a bit erratic. The over-ridding CAM's in the transmission did NOT like tillers (too much power and would skip until they would fail). I sold my tiller since mine started to skip...

There is a metal plate that protects the tie rods it's mounted between the brush guard and the frame but many times when the FEL/brush guard is installed, they would not re-install this plate since they needed longer bolts...

A few people (myself included) had the hydraulic oil cooler line come off (just need to tighten the clamp). Front axle oil was normally low on fluid from the dealer (but that's most Kubota tractors).

I might think of more...

FYI, I would recommend the tractor (as long as they don't use a tiller/cultivator) - just make sure they can live with the jerky 3ph...

/ Price on a used L2800HST? #3  
I trade last year our 10 year oldL2800HST with FEL 351 hours loaded rear R4 tires no cab no dents dings PM was up to date $11.200, paid $17.100 new in March of 09....I didn't want the hassle of doing pvt. sale.<br>
Sale man said L2800HST set on the lot for 2 days than sold.<br><br>Yes the 3 point hitch was jerky at times couldn't always trust the fuel gauge.

/ Price on a used L2800HST? #4  
...It was about $16K new - not sure I would sell mine for that now...
Need to explain this; I've added a bolt on grapple to my bucket, brush guard mesh, chain hooks, Top-N-Tilt hydraulics, canopy, sliding stabilizers, tooth bar and a right side step. Otherwise, I could see a clean L2800 in the $12K range ($13 if really clean). And yes, the fuel gauge shows empty when it's half full.

/ Price on a used L2800HST?
Thanks, guys. My friend is looking for something in that size range, but new is out of his budget. Another set of friends got divorced and are debating about what to do with their tractor. I'm just trying to nose around and get an idea of what might be reasonable. My gut feeling was that $12K might be in the ball park, but it's been a long time since I've been in the market for a tractor.

Old and Tired: Did replacing the 3 pt valve solve the jerky 3 Pt Hitch problem?

As far as I know, the tractor has never run a tiller. It has run a 5 ft brush mower - in fact most of its hours have probably been for that or for using the bucket for a bit of shuffling things around and clearing snow from a driveway. Would hammering rocks or saplings with the brush hog have had a similar effect as the rototiller?

The potential buyers may have an interest in running a tiller, so I'll be sure to mention that to them. Have you or anyone else ever heard of a fix for that issue?

/ Price on a used L2800HST? #6  
Old and Tired: Did replacing the 3 pt valve solve the jerky 3 Pt Hitch problem?

Dealer replaced the valve and (OMG) it was so smooth... The replacement was under the seat, no need to split the tractor.

Would hammering rocks or saplings with the brush hog have had a similar effect as the rototiller?

Most likely not since I've been making gravel out of big rocks for a while now. I've broken shear pins a dozen times, too.

Have you or anyone else ever heard of a fix for that issue?

Yes, but you have to split the tractor and several years ago it was $1200 (really should have bit the bullet and done it). Noticed attached...

View attachment psb-2005-052-A.pdf In this link is also the serial numbers - so a (very) slight chance you might have the "good" CAMS. (that's to say IF they messed up the year that they bought it...)

/ Price on a used L2800HST? #7  
Good used well maintained tractors that size command a premium ;easy 12K.

Thanks, old and tired.

That cam information is useful. The tractor in question is below the serial number cut-off, so has the old-style cams. I called the local Kubota dealer. He said $3000 just in labor to split the tractor to replace. I did not get the part numbers from him.

I'll have to check if they are planning to use a tiller on the tractor. Do you know if this was a widespread problem when tillers were used with the old style cams?

/ Price on a used L2800HST? #9  
OUCH!!! With you being in Vermont... I'm taking a wild guess that you might have a rock or two mixed in your soil. Which doesn't help... now I'm sure there are people who have successfully ran a tiller with this set up. The couple of people who did have problems, I believe were commercial operators. Which may have driven fast in untilled soil. Or who might have hit something hard at one time to start the problem. I don't know for sure... I can tell you that my tiller went fine for while before noticing the skipping here and there. They can try going slow but those CAMs are the achilles heel of this tractor.

Another thing to look up read/research (my wife brought this up) is that tilling destroys a soil profile and turns soil into powder. Read up about it, I don't think tilling is great for soil for the long run (although, it looks awesome). Plowing and Disking is what we do now, we are now starting to play with minimum tillage, RoundUp and scratch the surface. (first time this Fall) Did that on our last food plot and had a ton of success (turnips and clover). Much better growth and fuller stand than the previous years...

Dealer replaced the valve and (OMG) it was so smooth... The replacement was under the seat, no need to split the tractor.

Do you have any recollection how much it cost to replace that 3 Pt hitch valve? It sounds significantly easier than the cams.

Last edited: