Now I Need A Grapple. . .

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #1  

jezreel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - MX5400 DTC
Sorry for a simplistic, I'm sure well discussed thread. . . But, I'm new and need some good input.

I Really wanted to get the Artillian grapple system, but. . . It looks like in need a Diverter Kit installed to operate the dual grapples. At least today I saw a video of a guy installing one. I was smart enough to get the 3rd function valve installed before delivery, but I didn't know about a diverter kit. I am not confident that I could install a diverter kit properly and I don't really want to spend any more money than I have to. So that leaves me to looking at other brands. I have googled and read threads on TBN and YouTubed the heck out of "Best Grapples." So that leaves me asking questions. I know asking which grapple I should get is like asking what tractor I should get. Different grapples for different folks for different needs. I will be using it mainly for moving brush, rocks and logs. I like the idea of the dual grapple system, but I don't know if you need a diverter kit for all of them. I've looked at websites of Titan, EA, Quick Attach, MTL, and others. I want USA built. OK, here are some questions.

1) General thoughts on grapple brands.
2) What size grapple would be best for my MX5400
3) Dual Grapples or Single Lid. . . That is unless I need a diverter kit.
4) Any other thoughts.

Thanks. . .

jp

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #2  
Duel lid grapples only have one hydraulic circuit. There’s no difference in the plumbing between duel and single lid grapples.

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #3  
If you already installed a 3rd function valve, my choice would be the EA Wicked Grapple. This is an extremely light and durable grapple, and the EA customer support is great.

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #4  
60" would work fine.......

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #5  
60" would work fine.......

Agreed. There’s no need for a wider one. Really a wider one is almost always worse. IMG_8838.JPG

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #6  
I'm in the minority on here, but unless you are primarily moving large piles of brush, I would seriously look at an Igland GR 20 style grapple. Sundown makes a virtual identical style that most dealers should be able to get in.

This style is cheaper, lighter, and I think, much more versatile. I think it is far superior for digging/moving rocks and logs, and picking things up, in general. It's more like a backhoe with a hydraulic thumb. Now imagine how unwieldy a 60"+ backhoe would be trying to pick stuff up.

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #7  
Yep, dual lid grapples have both cylinders teed together and they run off one connection. In practice the two lids often do not move at the same time, when there is no load. If I open them one opens faster/first then when it reaches the end of the travel, the other finishes. Same when they are closing.

Dual lids are good for irregular hard objects, like logs that are not straight. You'll get more grip on them than with a single lid. I often carry log/logs that are so heavy the loader will not curl with the grapple pointing down. The lids alone hold the load.

The EA grapples (I have the wicked 60") are light and strong. Some other cheaper grapples have 2-300 lbs more steel in them, which sounds great until you realize that's 2-300 lbs off the grapple's payload. Of course you pay for the quality, but it's worth it.

The Wicked style grapple with the long lower tines is kind of a generalist- it's great for brush and acceptable for logs. Not that good at digging. If you're not lifting brush and want to lift logs or dig roots, there are better types of grapple.

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #8  
If you already installed a 3rd function valve, my choice would be the EA Wicked Grapple. This is an extremely light and durable grapple, and the EA customer support is great.

I'll second that.. A EA wicked 60'' grapple is one tough grapple.

@ only 400 # it's most likely the lightest grapple on the market in the 60'' size

Why does weight matter ? A heavier grapple reduces lift capacity

It ain't cheap but If you want a strong build grapple, you won't find a better one

People like them so much, there is most likely a 2-3 month wait

customer service is second to none. I when I had an issue with my grapple. They paid shipping back to their plant, made repairs, and paid shipping back to me,

Does any other grapple manufacture do that ?

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #9  
My 5460 is similar in size to your tractor and 60 inch works well for my uses. You can spend a lot of money on a premium brand grapple or buy buy one of the the cheaper grapples. I think the main difference is the type of steel used and the weight. I have owned a single lid Wild Kat on previous tractor and have a dual lid MTL on my current tractor. Both were lower costs units and have served me well for general property maintenance.

After owning a single lid grapple for over ten years and now having a dual lid, I do not find that the dual lid makes a huge difference. Both types met my needs.

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #10  
Sorry for a simplistic, I'm sure well discussed thread. . . But, I'm new and need some good input.

I Really wanted to get the Artillian grapple system, but. . . It looks like in need a Diverter Kit installed to operate the dual grapples. At least today I saw a video of a guy installing one. I was smart enough to get the 3rd function valve installed before delivery, but I didn't know about a diverter kit.

Not sure what you had installed. But if you had a 3rd function kit installed, that is all you need to operate a grapple