Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #91  
Is anyone moving money lately? Like from cash to bonds or gold or something else?
I have probably more than I should in past years in bonds and gold. Now I feel kind of happy with accounts because I think the bubble is going to burst like in 99.
Still have way too much cash in my money market. Still think gold has a $3000 peak coming.
Wonder if paying down some debt is in order here.

I suspect too that the bubble is about to burst as the markets are at all time highs in spite of this past year with COVID. And we are overdue a major correction history wise. But I'll stick with my long game plan of diversification and low cost mutual funds. My attempts of timing the market have bit me on the azz more often than not, including precious metal fund plays.
Whoever is in power tends to get the blame or credit for market swings but history says the markets don't care that much who the bobble heads are.

:2cents:

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #92  

Realistically the place where YOU can control things is in your 401K.... so that is where you'd have to focus your efforts.

If you are a teacher in Georgia, then I have no idea.

As it happens.... I'm one of about 15 people in the entire State of TN.....that happen to be one of your TCRS reps and my job is to help anyone in the State system.

If you have any questions you are free and invited to reach out to me personally.

Awesome for you to reach out and help!

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #93  
Funny how this topic comes up today. Last week I had a meeting with the boss and HR where I was told my position was terminated and I am welcomed to apply for another job within the company. There are none that I qualify for, I am in my 50s and deaf. After 23 years...just like that your done.

I am in a state where IT jobs are scarce and pay little....no one will come close to paying the salary I made...so what do I do? Retire early? File for Social Security Disability?

Move to a third world country?

I remember hearing companies like to get rid of the older folks and now I believe them(age discriminations). Keep in mind yes IT jobs are plenty in place like Maryland...but I would have to move. Also I cannot work with customers or venders and I have other complications I will not mention here.

I do have a lot of anxiety and I am a little worried....will try and retire now if I can and get over having to deal with working for others for good.

Age discrimination is very real and even more so in the IT business. :mad:

A good thing with the pandemic, is that companies, especially IT ones, can no longer say we have to be in the office to be productive. Not sure I believe all of the business leaders who say that work from home is the future. It may be since it lowers expenses but time will tell. But at this point in time YOU may not have to move to find another IT job. This could be an opportunity, though a painful one.

All of the people I know who have been laid off seem to be doing at least as good as they were before the layoff, and some are much better off. BUT, being laid off was very stressful. Especially, when one is just picked because someone has to be kicked out the door and the lay off had nothing to do with the quality of work being done by the person being forced to leave.

One reason we are thinking of selling everything and buying a boat to see the world is expenses. Boat are expensive to maintain, no doubt, but our land expenses are high and compensate. Health care costs in other countries are cheap compared to the US. Living expenses can be cheaper too if one is careful.

Good Luck,
Dan

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #94  
I like Dave Ramsey's thought on gold investing...

"If your investments are advertised right after a Snuggie ad, you are probably not in a good category of investments.

If Snuggie is on, and then right after that, catheters and then gold coins, something is wrong. '

From here:
Down on gold - Ask Dave | DaveRamsey.com

Dave Ramsey is pretty good, but as a self employed corporation owner and farmer, his advice is impractical and unusable to me. I have to borrow money and do things he advises against to make a living.
If I followed his advice to the letter, I couldnt do what I do.
I also find him a bit annoying personality-wise.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #95  
I suspect too that the bubble is about to burst as the markets are at all time highs in spite of this past year with COVID. And we are overdue a major correction history wise. But I'll stick with my long game plan of diversification and low cost mutual funds. My attempts of timing the market have bit me on the azz more often than not, including precious metal fund plays.
Whoever is in power tends to get the blame or credit for market swings but history says the markets don't care that much who the bobble heads are.

:2cents:

Dont do the precious metal funds, do the actual precious metals.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #96  
Dont do the precious metal funds, do the actual precious metals.

Agreed!
The gold that I have is in a safety deposit box.
Got a nice size diamond in there too. I actually thought I might need it some day for a second go-around.
Ain't gonna happen at 80!
I think my daughter will enjoy that.
Will be a nice surprise for her!

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #97  
I hope things work out for you.

Thank you for the kind words.

Back in 2008 the same company terminated my position. They did offer a severance package then but I had retired from the National Guard earlier so I had no income to back into. I applied for almost a thousand jobs, had 200 interviews and every single one I left feeling humiliated. Was always one person I couldnt hear. I had no money, was living paycheck to paycheck, 401k was less than 20k and no medical to fall back on. That was the first time I cried as an adult.

When they rehired me a day before the severance package took affect I was so relieved but...I had to settle for what they gave me. I hated my new job for 12 years but did it with pride anyway. I didnt like it but I stood by it for the next 12 years. The year after that the VA increased my disability rating so I could get medical. I also saved and saved wanting to never be that vulnerable to clock counters again as long as I could help it. I got to the point where no matter what I was ok in retirement even if I was fired....I now have a military pension which means I have full medical and dental after age 60 at a decent cost. I have an old pension plan from another company, I have VA compensation and I have 37 years of social security work history-I will start withdrawing at age 62.

I have a 401k I saved aggressively too, it will just be used until I can start collecting social security and my other pensions. Starting next year I will withdraw once a year from it. This will make up for 80% of what I was making in my last jobs take home.

I am getting a good severance package in April and I will also collect unemployment for as long as possible. My house is almost completely remodeled and modernized, including a 7kw solar system to help in electricity costs. I may pay off the mortgage next January...not 100% sure. As for debt I only have a loan for the vinyl siding on my home and I will pay that off in April.

I do have a few more options like VA retraining, and some other things I am going to work on later but I am done the workforce for good (or rather it is done with me). The other item is I will be living in Brazil for half a year-much cheaper cost of living.....enough to where I can afford a maid three times a week and live on a beach.

For now-I am free in my early 50s...now I need to get into shape and get healthy. I can also finish up many of the projects on my home I started and never finished over the years.

I am disappointed in how the workforce in USA is so inhuman. I strongly suggest no matter how much you like to work or love your job is to plan for a plan A. and B in the very least my friends. You\we are just another number., so dont just plan for money and finances...plan for the most important things people forget or dont think of...goals and ambitions after retirement, medical coverage, and strive to be as healthy as you can. You dont have those and it wont matter how much money you got saved.

The other thing to consider is inflation...our Government is spending and printing money into oblivion and soon we will need a wheel barrel full of money just to buy a loaf of bread. Consider moving to another country to retire where the dollar is valued-like Costa Rica, Thailand, Philippines etc..

Sorry this is so long but please start planning now...your future self will thank your present self.

I have come to terms I will never be rich in the USA but thats ok, I will be rich in Brazil and I hope to be rich in life.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #98  
Dave Ramsey is pretty good, but as a self employed corporation owner and farmer, his advice is impractical and unusable to me. I have to borrow money and do things he advises against to make a living.

I don't care for him all that much, either, however, he has very good advice for people that have had problems managing their money in the past.

Gold is a very speculative commodity to invest in. You're betting that no one wants it when you buy it and that everyone wants it when you sell it. There are much safer investments with more predictable returns. Slow and steady winds the race.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #99  
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #100  

Dave Ramsey is as useless to me as a comb is to a bald man. Proof-One caller last year called and was concerned about the stock market when ***** gets into office. When Dave laughed at her and told her it doesn't matter who is in the white house I about fell off my chair. Lost allllll respect for his so called expertise. Yes it DOES matter who is in office and we will sadly see definite proof in the next couple of years of that. I dont want anyone's opinion on this either...just let time speak for itself ok.