Lack of Snow......it's my fault.....

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #31  
TYMN....lots of dead trees in there. Is that from the Pine Beetle like in Colorado?

Most of the standing dead are fir which have combination of beetles and a root fungus to deal with, lots of mortality and they can fall with little warning. Too, the larches have an issue with dwarf mistletoe here with is a parasite that weakens the trees. This windstorm was big but did not drop as many in my area (about 20 miles west) as one last February or our local treepocalypse march 15 last year when mother nature decided she would essentially clearcut some mature forest near here. I am the volunteer sawyer for a local trail system and there has been a bunch to do.

just watched the drone shot, many of those that look dead are probably Larch which is a deciduous conifer common here, easy to tell in person but i had trouble identifying from the drone.

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #32  
you will definitely like the hoks. A friend owns that company and i have an early pair. Check out some of the videos he and others have done on the possible origins of skiing in the altai mountains in far western china.

I got Koms for my wife and I this year so I too am part of the problem. We have had 60" so far this year (first year I have been home to tally every inch) and its the worst skiing from our house in the 16 winters we have owned it.

Supply is tight on any kind of winter toys

Yep, apparently a tractor and snowmobile will only deter the snow gods so much.

But if anybody wants me to shut down the upper midwest snow machine again, I just need ~$420 for the Altai Hok skis I've been eyeing. :D

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #33  
My new skis finally got used this week that I bought last March. Skiing on man made snow isn't my favorite but beats not skiing.

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #34  
you will definitely like the hoks. A friend owns that company and i have an early pair. Check out some of the videos he and others have done on the possible origins of skiing in the altai mountains in far western china.

I got Koms for my wife and I this year so I too am part of the problem. We have had 60" so far this year (first year I have been home to tally every inch) and its the worst skiing from our house in the 16 winters we have owned it.

Supply is tight on any kind of winter toys

Actually- I meant to say Koms- that's the ski I want. How do you like them? Can you compare to maybe a Rossi BC125?

But I agree, the Hoks are pretty awesome. A bunch of family members have them and I just got my wife a pair for christmas. Unfortunately, she absolutely loves them so I'll have to make do with my old Marquette Backountrys instead of "borrowing" them from her. :D

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #35  
Actually- I meant to say Koms- that's the ski I want. How do you like them? Can you compare to maybe a Rossi BC125?

But I agree, the Hoks are pretty awesome. A bunch of family members have them and I just got my wife a pair for christmas. Unfortunately, she absolutely loves them so I'll have to make do with my old Marquette Backountrys instead of "borrowing" them from her. :D

Well, as befits the title of the thread, we have not had good conditions for them yet. Periodic warmups and rains and freezes have meant that i have more time on the fat bike with studded tires than anything else. I will try to make it a priority to get on them and get back to you. I did have a bit of time on them in a backcountry hut in BC but the conditions were so good then it might not have been the best test.

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #36  
It has been a sad winter in New Brunswick, Canada as well. geographically, we share a long border with the state of Maine. I think we have received about a foot of snow when our average for November to early January is about 4'. We have received some good size rain storms that would have/should have been snow storms.
The NB economy depends on lots of snow - snowplow operators, ski hills, sales of snowblowers and snowmobiles, etc.
My weatherman friend reminds me that our highest coverage is in March so there is lots of time to catch up.
I must confess that I purchased some chains and they are still sitting in a plastic tub in the garage. I did set a pallet of firewood on my trailer to take to town where we burn wood so there is some winter activity. Skating on the river is great with no snow cover.View attachment 684052

At least you have ice on your rivers... until earlier this week the lakes were mostly ice-free. About every two or three day I read about somebody going through the ice... the last time it was somebody skating on a lake down state. We need cold for the places we cut wood in winter... it's been a challenge keeping the guys on hard ground when all of our winter plans depend on it freezing. The cedar mills are going to be hurting unless we get some cold weather to freeze up the cedar swamps.

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault.....
I fear the Snow Gods didn't take my taunt seriously as they only sent me 5" of powder yesterday.....that being said, I enjoyed clearing it with the blower and blade but.....it was an appetizer.

Rumor has it Monday may bring anywhere from 1-12"......lol

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #38  
I fear the Snow Gods didn't take my taunt seriously as they only sent me 5" of powder yesterday.....that being said, I enjoyed clearing it with the blower and blade but.....it was an appetizer.

Rumor has it Monday may bring anywhere from 1-12"......lol

Noon today weather station mention nor'easter next Tuesday into Wednesday,good chance ground hog won't see his shadow Tuesday.

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault..... #39  
We got our first snow of the season yesterday. Not much but it’s a start. IMG_1139.JPG

MoKelly

/ Lack of Snow......it's my fault.....
Noon today weather station mention nor'easter next Tuesday into Wednesday,good chance ground hog won't see his shadow Tuesday.

I'm excited for a decent dumping......provided the power stays on.....lol Need back up generator at this house.....