Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h

/ Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h #11  
With the original poster being from Ga. it wouldn't be a concern for him but for others check the clearance fore tire chains.
I have seen to many tractors sold that don't have adequate safe clearances for tire chains.

/ Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h #12  
I am definitely learning from you guys who are already doing what I am about to start on. Depending on how my clearing goes, I now can see a potential need for a mower down the road to keep areas maintained once open.

Just keep available pto hp in mind. Once you buy a tractor, you can't increase that pto hp number. So every pto driven tool you'll ever want/need will need to be able to be efficiently run off of that hp number. The engine hp is less important to me than the pto hp number. Now if you were pulling a plow through fields, then sure engine hp will matter (actually would be "draw bar hp", which I don't think anyone lists for this size tractor market).

I have no problem running a 6' mower through hood height grass and brush with my 32 pto hp. I tend to slow down over rough ground, and when it's really thick I can't see the ground for buried hazards anyway, so I tend to go slow over unfamiliar fields. Right now that's my only pto driven tool. I will be adding a snow blower (if it ever snows here again) and I'm sure sometime a tiller as well. I would likely go 6' wide on each of those, but my ground here is mostly sandy loam, with very little, if any clay. I think you'll have more clay to deal with, which takes extra hp to power through. I don't think I'd try to run a 6' tiller off of 32 hp, I don't think you'd be happy with it's performance.

If you Youtube search for Everything Attachments and Tillers, they do show some good video of running tillers in NC clay

Last edited:
   / Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h #13  
I have a 4020R, 40hp turbo, it does pretty much everything I want/need, but I'd rather it was 50. There is no substitute for HP when needed/wanted. If the two tractors are equal in size and weight, (usually more HP is a bigger machine but I'm not familiar with these two) comparable features (easy hookups on the three point for instance) comfort, ease of use, etc; I would go with the one with the most lift capacity (important for what you'll be doing). If they're pretty much spec'd out the same, I'd go for the more HP. Especially if price is close. That's just me.

/ Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h
All you experienced guys have really help me understand and sort thru the trade-offs between frame size, weight, hp and PTO hp. I'm on a steep learning curve here and unfortunately with a finite budget I will be making some choices that while not ideal, will hopefully allow me to do everything I want but just at a slower pace and with slightly smaller implements. I would like to go with the next model up in hp, the 4820h but if I do then it will limit my implement budget for this year so I think it will be the 3620h and a 60" single lid grapple. I am going to post some questions about a grapple choice separately in the implement forum. Thanks again.

/ Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h #15  
Much appreciated info and I replied back in the general recommendation forum thread.

The 3620 my dealer showed me had the larger IND20s on it and with the capability to turn the rim and gain 4 inches of width. Is it your opinion the stability on grades would be better with the smaller tires? I guess it is a trade off with ground clearance but I do intend to either fill tires or fabricate a rear 3point ballast weight to stabilize the FEL while working.
3pt ballast will give you stability for the fel but not side to side (on a hill) stability. Tire fluid or wheel weights will give you both.

Bigger the tire, the more fluid.
I have a 4520r and the fel can lift my tears right off pretty easily. Just got about 45 gallons in each tire (850lbs of weight) and wow what a difference.
I have room for about another 15 gallons each and will finish the job when I can. You will likely need it with the grapple.

Also, I have lots of horsepower, but it is useless without the weight in the tires to give me traction and put that power to the ground.
Was able to pull out a large 30 foot spruce log from under other logs (have a large pile of logs for firewood and they tend to be crossed over on each other) and lots of snow and ice. Broke the log. Would not have budged it prior to the tire fluid.

3pt ballast will give you stability for the fel but not side to side (on a hill) stability. Tire fluid or wheel weights will give you both.

I知 taking delivery of a 3620H tomorrow with a Branson 3rd function kit installed on the FEL for my future grapple and also with filled tires. Total weight according to the dealer should be over 6000 lbs so stability and traction should be adequate for my needs. I am sure once I get some seat time I will be back with more questions.
Bruce.

/ Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h #17  
Congratulations! Please post pictures when you get it home!

/ Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h #18  
Very cool. Enjoy your new tractor. Now the fun part begins, figuring out all the projects you can get done with your new tool, and figuring out all the new attachments you suddenly "need".

And we like tractor pics.

Very cool. Enjoy your new tractor. Now the fun part begins, figuring out all the projects you can get done with your new tool, and figuring out all the new attachments you suddenly "need".

I have a strategy in mind. Train the wife to use the tractor, turn her loose on a project that would be much easier with a new attachment and give it a few days before showing her a video of how it can get done easier/better. 😉

/ Purchase Recommendation 3620h or 4815h #20  
My wife thought the Branson was basically a big toy for me and the tiny Kubota we had was fine. When I chipped some stuff that the small chipper on the Kubota couldn't handle she was like "that's useful". But what really impressed her was using the grapple to pull a huge poison oak bush out of an oak tree and carry it off. Now she says that it's an absolute requirement and if I think we need a bigger tractor we should get it.

She's operated the Branson enough to know how it works in case I die and she has to sell it but she's not really interested in doing work with it. Understandable, she has me for that.