Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost?

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #41  
I like the AGM batteries my 2015 RAM has one and there is absolutely no corrosion on the terminals it is on it's second battery.
Any battery that doesn't corrode around the terminals and the end of the cables gets my vote.

The corrosion is where a more expensive battery seems to be better in my experience. Cheaper battery's corrode sooner.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #42  
   / Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #43  
I thought dump trailers when pugged into truck was getting charged by trucks alternator, if not maybe it should be.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #44  
If it is regularly used or placed on battery tender when parked for a couple days, then it is likely the extra cost of AGM is justified.

My truck came with AGM from the factory. When SUV needed a battery I bought wet cell add-water battery for half the cost of AGM. AGM lasts at least twice as long in my motorcycles vs wet cell.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #45  
I use exide paste (NCP-2) on battery terminals. Never have any corrosion...ever

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost?
I thought dump trailers when pugged into truck was getting charged by trucks alternator, if not maybe it should be.

It depends on how the trailer wiring is set up, so the answer really is "maybe". Even if it is charging from the tow vehicle, with the length of small gauge wire from the alternator, it's at most a trickle charge, and can't keep up with the depletion from repeated dump cycles. That's why it has to be a deep cycle battery with a long reserve capacity. If the battery runs low, it won't operate the hydraulic pump even if it's receiving an active charge from the running tow vehicle. That's how I found out I need a new battery for my dump trailer.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #47  
If they last twice as long and cost twice as much, the maintenance free and leak proof design is worth it to me.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #48  
If they last twice as long and cost twice as much, the maintenance free and leak proof design is worth it to me.

To accomplish that the average AGM battery would have to last between 8-10 years and I'm not seeing that. And I frankly I don't think I'm reading it consistently in this thread either.

But if they work for others, that's fine by me.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #49  
Many if not most of us use a smart charger, and I think those highly effective gizmos
have been the calvary for lead acid batteries. They have allowed conventional batteries to last much longer
by desulphating the innards to some degree.

There is a stampede in the rv industry to bump up the batteries to LI-ON. I think about triple a normal battery's cost.
But the performance is undeniable. Performance that can be used in the rv. Just don't think this applies to Dougeye's situation.
I'd buy a basic Interstate or Johnson Controls battery with the most capacity that would fit in that spot.

The only variable I don't think has been discussed here is really cold weather. Is one battery type
appreciably better in 0 degree weather?

this is worth the time: Which Car Battery is Best? Let's find out! - YouTube

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #50  
Many if not most of us use a smart charger, and I think those highly effective gizmos
have been the calvary for lead acid batteries. They have allowed conventional batteries to last much longer
by desulphating the innards to some degree.

There is a stampede in the rv industry to bump up the batteries to LI-ON. I think about triple a normal battery's cost.
But the performance is undeniable. Performance that can be used in the rv. Just don't think this applies to Dougeye's situation.
I'd buy a basic Interstate or Johnson Controls battery with the most capacity that would fit in that spot.

The only variable I don't think has been discussed here is really cold weather. Is one battery type
appreciably better in 0 degree weather?

this is worth the time: Which Car Battery is Best? Let's find out! - YouTube

Good info! Thanks for posting.