Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost?

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
What about "gel" batteries? Is that an outdated term?

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
No, not at all, but they are more used for standby power applications and not so much in cranking, if ever. Used where spillage and orientation are a concern.

Gregster613

Gold Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
So, Would a Gel style battery be useful in this situation? OP was talking about a dump trailer if I recall correctly. I don't have a dump, but am curious and following this thread.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
They use them all the time in electric wheelchairs. I think, (I'm guessing) that the capacity of a lead acid battery for the same size is highly diminished in a gelled form. And less likely to survive any abuse as well.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
A friend gave me a couple of AGMs. Not sure what their history was. Everytime he sees them here, he points to them and says "those are good batteries" . Like I said, I don't know what their history has been but of the dozens/hundreds of used or take out batteries my friend had given me, these are about my least favorite. I would have scrapped them long ago, except he keeps saying how good they are. lol

KYBobcat

Tractor
Bobcat CT5545
The battery is labeled VHLA, whatever that means:

View attachment 687669

None of my AGM batteries have had a vent hose or corroded the terminals like that :eek:.

This is a VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery also known as sealed lead-acid. And I believe that is a pressure relief valve, not a vent like on wet cell batteries.

spitter

Platinum Member
Tractor
simplicity legacy tc29d
My Nappa guy says he gets the same amount of failures of agm and lead acid and the both seem to last the same . Why spend the extra money ?:drink:

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
My Nappa guy says he gets the same amount of failures of agm and lead acid and the both seem to last the same . Why spend the extra money ?:drink:

My OReilly guy says the AGMs he sells last a lot longer than the flooded batteries he sells.
Why not spend the extra money :D