Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost?

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #61  
Shucks Dougeye, that one is easy to answer. Yes, unless you are strapped for cash then AGMs are worth the extra. I wish everything else mechanical or electrical was so simple.
good luck,
rScotty

I think that is too simple. Is like saying "synthetic motor oil is always better." A superior motor oil can be made using synthetic processes but use of synthetic processes is not any assurance of a superior motor oil. Just as the best lead-acid battery they can build is AGM, but not all AGM are better than a wet lead-acid battery.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #62  
Any grease will help prevent the corrosion where ever you use it.
The AGM doesn't off gas corrosive fumes so the battery boxes , hold downs and cables, and with the newer vehicles the fuses mounted on the multiple ended expensive battery cables don't corrode either.

AGM is not supposed to outgas, but it can and does. Every automotive AGM battery I have purchased included a vent nipple. The cars OE equipped with AGM batteries had a hose affixed to this nipple.

The attached photo is of the OE (Original Equipment) Bosch AGM battery in a Mercedes-Benz. The dirty brown hose running left/right is the vent hose.

Attachments

• ML320_Battery.jpg
    ML320_Battery.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 111
   / Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #63  
I'd buy a basic Interstate or Johnson Controls battery with the most capacity that would fit in that spot.

Actually I would avoid a battery with the most capacity for a given size. To get more capacity the plates inside need to be bigger. To do that they extend closer to the bottom of the battery where the metal that's shed collects. When the metal builds up it'll short the plate causing the cell to fail.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #64  
AGM is not supposed to outgas, but it can and does. Every automotive AGM battery I have purchased included a vent nipple. The cars OE equipped with AGM batteries had a hose affixed to this nipple.

The attached photo is of the OE (Original Equipment) Bosch AGM battery in a Mercedes-Benz. The dirty brown hose running left/right is the vent hose.
What the heck? I have never had an AGM frost up a post on the battery post like that. Never owned a Bosch, just Optima and Odyssey.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #65  
Actually I would avoid a battery with the most capacity for a given size. To get more capacity the plates inside need to be bigger. To do that they extend closer to the bottom of the battery where the metal that's shed collects. When the metal builds up it'll short the plate causing the cell to fail.

ok, but then let me add the second part I mentioned, and then put the battery on a desulphating smart charger twice a year to reduce plate shorting.
We can measure/evaluate by number of charge cycles, warranty and CCA. What else should we look for?

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #66  

The AGM in my pickup did not have a vent hose and the one i installed after the first one did not have a vent nipple or hose,
the AGM in my motorcycle does not have any venting either also neither of those have had the least bit of corrosion on them, a 2014 and a2015.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #67  

The battery is labeled VHLA, whatever that means:

Lead Acid.jpg

None of my AGM batteries have had a vent hose or corroded the terminals like that :eek:.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #69  
Right, but this looks like VHLA and searches for information refer to AGM batteries in a Mercedes-Benz Forum.

Last edited:
   / Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #70  
I think the H is a worn of letter R. Needs a better picture