How to catch 11 gallons of oil?

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #11  
I just get an oily hand/arm and put the plug back in between either another bucket or emptying one.
But for the love of God, don't drop that plug in the bucket trying to screw it in. šŸ¤£

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #12  
I get two plastic cement mixing tubs like shown below from Lowe's.

Then, I drain some of the oil so the first tub is about 3/4 full. I put the plug back in the tractor and the tub is big enough to catch any spillage. Slide it out from under the tractor and get a gallon sized plastic water jug. Cut it into a scoop to empty enough of the tub so I can pick the tub up and dump into a 5 gallon bucket with funnel.

Then I do it again with the other tub and empty same way. Or do the two tubs at once. I rarely spill even a drop.

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 92
   / How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #13  
Hi all -

Sorry if this is obvious to most, but what is the best way to catch almost 11 gallons of oil during an hydraulic oil change? I really don't have good clearance under the tractor to put anything more than a 5 gallon bucket (and even that is so tight that it would be hard to get the bucket out from under the tractor once it is full).

What obvious solution am I missing here?

Any other tips for a someone during a complete oil change on a new TYM 574 for the first time? E.g. I know the hydraulic oil filter is on real, real tight, so I have assembled an assortment of oil filter wrenches to hopefully tackle that issue.

Thanks!

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #14  
If you have a remote, why not plug into it with a male hyd. fitting, with a nipple added, and connected to a piece of open ended scrap hose.
Start your tractor, and pump up to 8 of those 11 gallons out through the open remote valve into several waiting pails.
When you hear the hyd. pump just begin to cavitate for lack of fluid, quickly reach over and promptly shut the tractor down.
Then,.... just drain the last few gallons through the normal hyd. sump drain plug.
I believe this is the method dealerships usually use.

Last edited:
   / How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #15  
Also use heavy duty tote once the oil done dripping put cover on than side from under tractor.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #16  
   / How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #17  
I just get an oily hand/arm and put the plug back in between either another bucket or emptying one.
But for the love of God, don't drop that plug in the bucket trying to screw it in. šŸ¤£

Who would ever do that!

MoKelly

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #18  
I like the idea of pumping the fluid out, but what I've been doing up till now is drain the oil into a plastic kid's wading pool. Cheap as chips, capacity 110 litres (29 US gallons). In the pic below, it's sitting on a standard pallet (the square one, not the rectangular Euro ones), and slides easily under the tractor from the side.

Oil pan.jpg

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #20  
Hi all -

Sorry if this is obvious to most, but what is the best way to catch almost 11 gallons of oil during an hydraulic oil change? I really don't have good clearance under the tractor to put anything more than a 5 gallon bucket (and even that is so tight that it would be hard to get the bucket out from under the tractor once it is full).

What obvious solution am I missing here?

Any other tips for a someone during a complete oil change on a new TYM 574 for the first time? E.g. I know the hydraulic oil filter is on real, real tight, so I have assembled an assortment of oil filter wrenches to hopefully tackle that issue.

Thanks!
Run the tractor up on 2x4s to get the right height.
Or, get a few 3 gallon open tray type and switch. After the first try gets full you will have plenty time to dump full on in barrel or bucket of choice.
I have a few laying around and use them for may other project also. Someone mentioned concrete mixing tubs. They work great also.