Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,312  
We got enough rain, Sunday, to keep the dust down a few weeks.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,314  
3/10" here. Raised bed garden potatoes are up.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#8,315  
.11 here, enough to make me wish we got half of what the weathemen where threatening for a week.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,316  
If we could all think of our home states the way Texans do......
My state, Pennsylvania, no longer resembles its former self. PA was a very significant state in the formation of our union. So many significant people, inventions and events came from PA, yet there is no state pride so to speak of. We are mostly only led to believe we should be ashamed of what happened here.
We have lost so much in PA in the last 50 years......so many factories, cities, railroads laid to waste..... As a child, I remember so many things that are now just bulldozed over piles of rubble and weeds.
I keep asking myself why we can’t regain out pride, our strength, our industrial might. Our leadership has failed us.
Texas however, is one place where I think there’s a beacon of light. A place where people are somewhat United and have pride in who they are. They are not ashamed of themselves. I applaud you guys in Texas. Sounds like a great way and place to live.
So far so good but the Texas way is weakening. Too many from the coasts are moving here and raising housing costs rapidly. They see these 2 story "houses" on a postage stamp for 350K-600K and think it's a bargin, so the builders keep building more and raising all the home values so everybody's property taxes sky rocket. I won't be able to afford to stay on my 1 acre past retirement in 5.5 years. It's already about $700 a month just for property taxes and it increases 10% a year (Homestead cap). My house has almost doubled in value in 17 years.

Then not to get in to politics, but that map is changing too as you can figure out why, and not for the better. :mad:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,317  
It's already about $700 a month just for property taxes and it increases 10% a year (Homestead cap). My house has almost doubled in value in 17 years.

Then not to get in to politics, but that map is changing too as you can figure out why, and not for the better. :mad:
That must be some fancy place you have for $700 a month in taxes. :unsure: I was up near Wylie back in November looking at a telehandler. You can have that area for sure.

On the latter subject...............don't. No ifs, ands, or buts. Take that somewhere else.
Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,318  
That must be some fancy place you have for $700 a month in taxes. :unsure: I was up near Wylie back in November looking at a telehandler. You can have that area for sure.
Not really. that's the rub! When I bought it back in 2004, the taxes were about 250-300 a month. Mortgage, taxes, utilities, I figured all my expenses and thought I would be in great shape for several decades even with normal tax/property value increases. Then the last several years the property taxable value has hit the 10% cap every year!

Hard to maintain a comfortable lifestyle and increase savings and investments with 2.5-5% annual raises when your property taxes increase 10% year after year!

Depends on what part you were in. some are much nicer than the others. Granted, when I moved here there were maybe 1/4 -1/3 the homes and businesses, it was almost like living in the country.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,319  
When buyers are routinely paying $50k + over asking price the ad valorem taxes are bound to go up.

The place you bought in 2004 is worth a much higher market price than you probably realize.