Cattle guards - make or buy

/ Cattle guards - make or buy #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
I need a cattle guard for a new access road to the property. They can be bought, but those online are expensive and present an issue re unloading. E.G., One that I found online weighs 1791 lbs and the seller states the buyer is responsible for unloading it when it is delivered. I have a Kubota L3410 with a Woods 1016 FEL, and the manual states it's capacity is 1600 lbs. I don't want to have issues if I get this when it is delivered. Also very expensive - over $3,200.

I have a source for used oil rig pipe (3 1/2 dia, 31 foot lengths for $85 each, plus $2.50 for any cuts). I have used that pipe for gate posts and it is really heavy. Anyway, I am thinking I can get some large angle iron and have some one weld it all together on site. The two cattle guards that were here when we bought 35 years ago are made precisely like that - pipe and angle iron. I could then make a structure for them to sit on /fit into, with drainage etc.. I would pour a concrete perimeter and one or two cross beams. Likely 8' x 12' overall.

Your thoughts? Your experiences? Thanks in advance.

/ Cattle guards - make or buy
I may have answered my own question. I have been doing the math. I could buy seven 31' pipe sections, have them cut into lengths of 12' + 12' + 7'. That would allow me to use the fourteen 12' lengths for the cattle guard and have seven 7' pipe sections left over for posts or whatever - always a use for heavy pipe. So, seven pipes at $85 = $595 for the pipe, and two cuts per pipe at $2.50 per cut would be another $35. I don't know what 16 feet of 4 inch angle iron would cost, or what it would cost to have it welded together, but it would seem this would be the best course, and I could have it all done on site.

/ Cattle guards - make or buy #4  
In the distant past, I built cattle guards with the 2" and 7/8s well pipe that you mention. ID is how you measure pipes made for liquids. I few notes on buying and using it. The way its manufactured and used as oil well pipe, its not consistent in length. They varied from 31 to about 28ft in length. After its lived its life in an oil well, its magnetized which does effect your welding of it. But it still can be welded but its not the same as a new piece of steel. It will have have oil tars in it which will stink when you cook it via welding.

I personally would use it in cattle guard production.. Hope that helps.

/ Cattle guards - make or buy #5  
One of the best things I've ever done was remove an electric operated(prone to failure to operate) gate opener & install a 16' cattle guard. Cattle guard cost me $1300 delivered. Fellow built cattle guard with 2-7/8s drill stem then loaded it on 16' utility trailer resting on loose pipes that spaced across trailer. He just rolled cattle guard off trailer onto the ground "easy peasy".

/ Cattle guards - make or buy #6  
TX Jim. 2 and 7/8ths is well pipe. Drill stem is much larger dia, like 4"+ and much, much heavier. This is drill stem seen below and very much a different animal.

drill-stemA.jpg

/ Cattle guards - make or buy #7  
If you're not a welder I'd contact whoever you want to do the welding and have them bid it, they might surprise you. If they don't you can still get the pipe. Also, old mobile home frames are great sources of materials for these short bridges lots of 6-8" i-beams.

/ Cattle guards - make or buy #8  
TX Jim. 2 and 7/8ths is well pipe. Drill stem is much larger dia, like 4"+ and much, much heavier. This is drill stem seen below and very much a different an
Down where I live the pipe utilized for my cattle guard is referred to to as Drill Stem identical to photo's below. I hope you have a wonderful day. I know I will!
Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-19 092159.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-19 092159.png
    538.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot 2021-03-19 093315.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-19 093315.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 95
   / Cattle guards - make or buy
Thanks to all for the posts. I will check it all out. BTW, I bought one section of the 3 1/2" pipe for the gate posts that I put in at the location where the cattle guard will go. I am not sure of the outside diameter but a 3" ABS cap, which fits over a 3" inside dia ABS pipe, fits perfectly over these gate posts. Really heavy stuff - and it does have those oil tars inside.

Good advice re getting a welding bid first and about the mobile home beams. I am not a welder. My son-in-law says he knows someone who can weld and that together they can do this - but I am not so sure about that once they see the size of the job.

That cattle guard form idea is intriguing - merits some more thought.

Thanks again. This is my resource for most questions I have - always learning.

Last edited:
   / Cattle guards - make or buy #10  
I'd build my own, but I know how to weld. I have kicked around the idea of building one for the driveway just because I think they're cool and remind me of when I traveled the west.