Tractor Shopping

/ Tractor Shopping #51  
Hello, new to the forum. I am looking for a small 25hp tractor. I live on 45 acres mostly wooded. I would like to make small trails to ride my Ranger on, make a food plot or two for wildlife, I have lots of down trees to pick up and cut up, dig out a stump or two and work on creek maybe dig a small pond if able. I have been looking at Kioti 1060, Branson 2515, and pretty much anything I can find locally. RK tractors, Kubota (was in there for 30 minutes nobody even asked if we needed help), TYM (was selling JD but is going to TYM). Branson dealer is farthest away about 45 minutes. I have two Kioti dealerships within 20 minutes, one Kubota dealership, and one RK. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I have rolling hills in TN, gravel driveway about 1/4 mile long and about 40 acres of woods which several trees were downed due to an ice storm several years before I bought the property. I have several other projects like a few stumps to remove however, my main goal are trails, food plots, garden, and removal of dead trees downed and standing.
With that much land go for a larger machine 35-60hp. You will need a grader blade for your road 7ft
A back hoe is expensive and too small a one will not do the stumps very good unless they are all softwood. I just traded for a new Yanmar yt 359 what a great machine warrenty for running gear,10 years
I used a 35 hp for 10yrs it did most of the work with ease.
I also have 50+acres and a 2000 ft driveway
I have a homemade grader blade 8 ft long, and a 72 in bushhog, and a gravel pit, front loader gets most of the use.
Winter, plowing snow.

/ Tractor Shopping #52  
Yeah when I thought of it today, I didn't think it was a very good setup. I would rather just get a 3rd function. Branson only charges $900. I think even forks would work, people really like the grapples though.

After thinking about it, I'd give some serious thought to the Kubota L2501.

Heavy enough, has three (3) power ranges in the hydro, it's not required to have a bunch of useless eco-garbage forced on us by the Ministry of Karen; and it's a reputable brand.

Besides that, I think there's some power hidden away in there. It's got a 1.6L engine which, for a Kubota, is not a bad size at all.

Yeah, they say it's got '25' HP but, as we all know (or should) Torque is measured and Horsepower is calculated. I'd be willing to bet there's more there than meets the eye. Consider, Kubota is getting 26HP out of a 1.0L engine in the bx2680, weighing in at just over 1500lbs.

The L2501 comes in at around 2600 lbs.

Then there's the LX2610. A nice 'tweener. Just don't buy mine. The one I'm gonna get this Summer. If they have any left.

The more I hang out on this forum, the more things I realize I don't know. It's good place to start.

/ Tractor Shopping #53  
Think you really need to define what you want to do. If it's just make some paths then ok but you want to start clearing some areas, burn a bunch you might be better off renting a machine with a land clearing shredder and cutting your way around leaving wood in chips. Or by getting a decent sized Excavator that would turn circles around a small tractor. you can pull out stumps, stack build burn piles or Firewood piles pretty quick, then use your current machine to haul in rock and finial grading around hills and such.
Unfortunately there is no perfect machine but two can really blend together well, my vote is use what you have now to augment another that excels in other areas.

/ Tractor Shopping #54  
Hello, new to the forum. I am looking for a small 25hp tractor. I live on 45 acres mostly wooded. I would like to make small trails to ride my Ranger on, make a food plot or two for wildlife, I have lots of down trees to pick up and cut up, dig out a stump or two and work on creek maybe dig a small pond if able. I have been looking at Kioti 1060, Branson 2515, and pretty much anything I can find locally. RK tractors, Kubota (was in there for 30 minutes nobody even asked if we needed help), TYM (was selling JD but is going to TYM). Branson dealer is farthest away about 45 minutes. I have two Kioti dealerships within 20 minutes, one Kubota dealership, and one RK. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I have rolling hills in TN, gravel driveway about 1/4 mile long and about 40 acres of woods which several trees were downed due to an ice storm several years before I bought the property. I have several other projects like a few stumps to remove however, my main goal are trails, food plots, garden, and removal of dead trees downed and standing.
Kevin: I purchased a 3515H nearly 2 years ago and even added a Branson backhoe to it. I have been thoroughly please with the tractor and the price was great. Was looking at Kuboda but decided to take a chance on the much cheaper Branson and I have not been disappointed. Phil

/ Tractor Shopping #55  
When we bought our 5 acre place two years ago the back half was well overgrown with cedars, oaks, elms and brush. I hired a local guy who came with a skid steer and a grapple. He surgically ripped out the cedars and the brush without touching the hardwoods in 2 days. He piled them in two piles. One big pile and one giant pile. I am now using my 24HP Branson to pull them apart and process it. It may take me 2 years to get through is as I have other things to do as well. Like work for a living. The difference is this young man is making his living with his equipment. I'm trying to maintain my property without breaking my back or my bank account. So, yes, OP (like the rest of us) must weight our priorities and make our own choices. I hope the responses are helping with that.

/ Tractor Shopping #56  
I've owned my Kioti CK2610 for about 9 months. I chose it over the Branson and New Holland mainly because of the joystick control. Great operating tractor. I don't really think you'll be disappointed with any machine you get. I have a stump bucket and it works great, just time consuming cuttin up roots around larger stumps. I put a Piranha tooth bar on my bucket and it digs 5 times better than the plain bucket. I do a lot of work with this tractor that I used to do with my 75hp Mustang skidsteer though not as quick. I love this tractor.

/ Tractor Shopping #57  
...I just think you're going to be one of the many guys selling a low-hours, year-old 25hp tractor to get something bigger; there are always a bunch of them on craigslist trying in vain to recoup their investment. If you really want to go that route, buy a used one from one of those guys that already had to eat their hat.

You're saying the 25 horse machine "could" do what you want. It's probably possible, but how long are you going to spend trying to eke that out of it? How much wear are you going to put on that machine, pushing it to the outer limits? As somebody said, those subcompacts are more like a big lawnmower than a small tractor. Compare the B and L series Kubotas... they're nearly the same price and nearly the same size, but one is designed to be God's gift to lawnmowing (and landscaping) and one is designed to do actual work. I don't think anybody asked you, but are you looking at subcompacts because you want a belly mower? A belly mower would be the only thing a subcompact has going for it for anyone with any acreage.

Subcompacts visually look like the miniature "real" tractors, but they're just a big lawnmower with some limited ability to run implements, a light-duty loader or a very small (and expensive for its limited ability) backhoe.

I have a little magnatrac for my tiny property. It would haul better, and dig WAY better, than what you're looking at, but they move slow as molasses and they're not cheap.

/ Tractor Shopping #58  
Hey Kevin,
I’ve got 8 acres with a 3038e JohnDeere. While they make a 3025, the extra hp has been invaluable and I highly recommend. I’ve put 800 hrs on it doing everything you can with that size and a few things you probably shouldn't. I agree with the other posters; digging deep holes isn’t its strong suit. Not an impossibility, but the wear/tear/time investment probably isn’t worth it when a trackhoe rental would be much faster and cheaper if you start breaking something. As for brand, I too got dissed by the local orange paint dealer. With that said, the most important factor in a tractor purchase is service after the sale, since you generally get what you pay for with any manufacturer. In my area JD was the best batch of folks.
as for implements, while a grapple is cool, its very expensive and sits alot more than its used. For my money a strong set of forks (not the over the bucket type, but a separate attachment) is my goto. They can uproot a small tree and carry it to the burn pile. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Shopping #59  
...I just think you're going to be one of the many guys selling a low-hours, year-old 25hp tractor to get something bigger; there are always a bunch of them on craigslist trying in vain to recoup their investment. If you really want to go that route, buy a used one from one of those guys that already had to eat their hat.

You're saying the 25 horse machine "could" do what you want. It's probably possible, but how long are you going to spend trying to eke that out of it? How much wear are you going to put on that machine, pushing it to the outer limits? As somebody said, those subcompacts are more like a big lawnmower than a small tractor. Compare the B and L series Kubotas... they're nearly the same price and nearly the same size, but one is designed to be God's gift to lawnmowing (and landscaping) and one is designed to do actual work. I don't think anybody asked you, but are you looking at subcompacts because you want a belly mower? A belly mower would be the only thing a subcompact has going for it for anyone with any acreage.

Subcompacts visually look like the miniature "real" tractors, but they're just a big lawnmower with some limited ability to run implements, a light-duty loader or a very small (and expensive for its limited ability) backhoe.

I have a little magnatrac for my tiny property. It would haul better, and dig WAY better, than what you're looking at, but they move slow as molasses and they're not cheap.
Really? I have done a complete septic system, full site grading and foundation for my new house, all the trenches for utilities, moved all the materials for the house from shed to building site, and cut in and graded the driveway, then graded / spread all the roadbase and top gravel....

ALL DONE WITH MY 25 HP SCUT!

Then, after 2 years and 225 hours, I sold it for $500 less than what I paid for it! I purchased 2 sizes up, the smallest 25HP COMPACT size..... I really miss having the SCUT.....

I have actually considered going back down a size.....

BIGGER, BETTER, BADDER..... not always the right choice.....

/ Tractor Shopping
Hey Kevin,
I’ve got 8 acres with a 3038e JohnDeere. While they make a 3025, the extra hp has been invaluable and I highly recommend. I’ve put 800 hrs on it doing everything you can with that size and a few things you probably shouldn't. I agree with the other posters; digging deep holes isn’t its strong suit. Not an impossibility, but the wear/tear/time investment probably isn’t worth it when a trackhoe rental would be much faster and cheaper if you start breaking something. As for brand, I too got dissed by the local orange paint dealer. With that said, the most important factor in a tractor purchase is service after the sale, since you generally get what you pay for with any manufacturer. In my area JD was the best batch of folks.
as for implements, while a grapple is cool, its very expensive and sits alot more than its used. For my money a strong set of forks (not the over the bucket type, but a separate attachment) is my goto. They can uproot a small tree and carry it to the burn pile. Hope that helps.
Thank you!