Tractor Shopping

/ Tractor Shopping #41  
Looks like 50 hp tractor country. Grapple would be a must. I've been looking at the Real tree saw, more on how to build one as the prices are way out there. Would be able to take down trees with a flush cut, leave the stump and mow over to maintain trails.

/ Tractor Shopping #42  
I spoke to a dealer yesterday, and they run hoses from existing remote under chassis to FEL and place a connection there for a fully functional grapple (hydraulic) that you can operate with lever for just $375, grapple is $1200. Thank you.
Ok. I'm trying to understand how this works. Hydraulics from rear remotes? Controlled with a lever. So one hand on the wheel, one hand on the joystick and my third hand on the lever?

/ Tractor Shopping
   / Tractor Shopping #45  
I installed a diverter on the rear remote on my Massey. Hoses to the front are easy. Use the system for the front blade, grapple, snow blower chute and a lift cyl on my forks. At the rear so far it handles the verge mower and the lift gate on the land plane. Not too complicated to operate if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

/ Tractor Shopping #46  
Yeah when I thought of it today, I didn't think it was a very good setup. I would rather just get a 3rd function. Branson only charges $900. I think even forks would work, people really like the grapples though.
I don't use my forks for carrying brush/trees, but I could see how it would probably work well enough for brushless tree segments.

Where the grapple shines is for the _rest_ of the tree. I do a little basic limbing of the fallen tree, ensure all those branches are more or less in a pile, and then grapple gigantic chunks of the huge mess. trunk segments, branches, the whole enchilada. Then I can haul it all off to the brush pile _dropping very little_. I can't see my pallet forks doing it nearly as nicely with all manner of loose branches and such. Maybe it works great, and it would certainly be cheaper than getting a grapple. I'm glad I forked out for the grapple (a poor play on words).

With practice I'm also getting good enough I can grapple nearly every last branch and off the lawn too, without digging up the lawn. So I don't even have to leave the seat for most of the clearing work.

/ Tractor Shopping #47  
The Branson factory 3rd function is a diverter, not a true function, if it matters. I went with the factory setup, but if it doesn't work out, I'll replace it with a true 3rd function valve.

/ Tractor Shopping #48  
Hello, new to the forum. I am looking for a small 25hp tractor. I live on 45 acres mostly wooded. I would like to make small trails to ride my Ranger on, make a food plot or two for wildlife, I have lots of down trees to pick up and cut up, dig out a stump or two and work on creek maybe dig a small pond if able. I have been looking at Kioti 1060, Branson 2515, and pretty much anything I can find locally. RK tractors, Kubota (was in there for 30 minutes nobody even asked if we needed help), TYM (was selling JD but is going to TYM). Branson dealer is farthest away about 45 minutes. I have two Kioti dealerships within 20 minutes, one Kubota dealership, and one RK. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I have rolling hills in TN, gravel driveway about 1/4 mile long and about 40 acres of woods which several trees were downed due to an ice storm several years before I bought the property. I have several other projects like a few stumps to remove however, my main goal are trails, food plots, garden, and removal of dead trees downed and standing.
More than a brand recommendation, I suggest you go to each dealership of the brand you ate considering. Go talk to the parts and service departments at the dealership. Once you have purchased, about all the sales department is worth is a howdy and cup of coffee (if you are lucky). Try to find out the turn around on getting parts. Ask about odd ball stuff that should be rare to replace (engine internals) as well as the stuff that should be common enough it is on their shelves (air filters, oil filters, hydraulic filters and screens). Do this about turn around in both departments for the model you are interested in.

/ Tractor Shopping #50  
I think we're gonna need a bigger tractor.
Bigger is not always better, especially when working in heavy timber. There is also all the exhaust gas crap to deal with at higher HP.
Yes you can do more and do it faster with a larger tractor, but when you have to make the trails 2-3 times wider at least at turns because that larger frame tractor needs more room to make turns and you have to maintain that wider trail, remove more trees and stumps, a smaller frame may serve him as well!