Tractor Shopping

/ Tractor Shopping
...I just think you're going to be one of the many guys selling a low-hours, year-old 25hp tractor to get something bigger; there are always a bunch of them on craigslist trying in vain to recoup their investment. If you really want to go that route, buy a used one from one of those guys that already had to eat their hat.

You're saying the 25 horse machine "could" do what you want. It's probably possible, but how long are you going to spend trying to eke that out of it? How much wear are you going to put on that machine, pushing it to the outer limits? As somebody said, those subcompacts are more like a big lawnmower than a small tractor. Compare the B and L series Kubotas... they're nearly the same price and nearly the same size, but one is designed to be God's gift to lawnmowing (and landscaping) and one is designed to do actual work. I don't think anybody asked you, but are you looking at subcompacts because you want a belly mower? A belly mower would be the only thing a subcompact has going for it for anyone with any acreage.

Subcompacts visually look like the miniature "real" tractors, but they're just a big lawnmower with some limited ability to run implements, a light-duty loader or a very small (and expensive for its limited ability) backhoe.

I have a little magnatrac for my tiny property. It would haul better, and dig WAY better, than what you're looking at, but they move slow as molasses and they're not cheap.
I am looking at compacts. Not subs with a belly mower attached. The Branson is a 30hp tractor where they have done something to make it a 25hp. After the warranty expires you can remove the factory crap and get the 30hp if needed. It can lift 2200 pounds on the FEL and 2600+ with the 3pt hitch. It’s all metal and is heavier than any tractor in it’s class.
I have looked at everything from A-Z in my area and when I walked into a Kubota dealership with my wife they just looked at me like I must have been lost for 30 minutes. Not one person asked me for help or what I was looking for.
I have an 80hp tractor but think it’s too big to get in and out of where I need to go. If I wanted or needed a bigger tractor I could just utilize the one I have. I am not clearing 45 acres just needing to lift some down trees and dead trees enough to saw them with a chainsaw.
Thank you for your opinion.

/ Tractor Shopping
I've owned my Kioti CK2610 for about 9 months. I chose it over the Branson and New Holland mainly because of the joystick control. Great operating tractor. I don't really think you'll be disappointed with any machine you get. I have a stump bucket and it works great, just time consuming cuttin up roots around larger stumps. I put a Piranha tooth bar on my bucket and it digs 5 times better than the plain bucket. I do a lot of work with this tractor that I used to do with my 75hp Mustang skidsteer though not as quick. I love this tractor.
Thank you. Yeah, the position of the FEL hydraulic lever is bad in the Branson. I would prefer one next to my seat.
one thing the Branson offers is weight and heavy lifting. They are not as close as other dealerships either!
The other thing Branson has is shuttle shift without moving up into a higher class of tractor. My major concern with Branson are the dealers and service after. No dealership is close. One guy is a small operation and I didn’t like the other guy because he doesn’t want to budge on his pricing for anything! Even wanted to charge me for ballast in the rear tires.
The Kioti dealer threw in a few things with his offer. He also offers free pick up and delivery for service. Nobody offers that. Even though I have a trailer to do it, it seemed he wanted to earn my business. He has a nice big and organized shop.
It’s a tough decision to make! Thanks for the advice!

/ Tractor Shopping
When we bought our 5 acre place two years ago the back half was well overgrown with cedars, oaks, elms and brush. I hired a local guy who came with a skid steer and a grapple. He surgically ripped out the cedars and the brush without touching the hardwoods in 2 days. He piled them in two piles. One big pile and one giant pile. I am now using my 24HP Branson to pull them apart and process it. It may take me 2 years to get through is as I have other things to do as well. Like work for a living. The difference is this young man is making his living with his equipment. I'm trying to maintain my property without breaking my back or my bank account. So, yes, OP (like the rest of us) must weight our priorities and make our own choices. I hope the responses are helping with that.
Thank you! Very good hearing from you. That is pretty much what I am looking to do here.

/ Tractor Shopping
Kevin: I purchased a 3515H nearly 2 years ago and even added a Branson backhoe to it. I have been thoroughly please with the tractor and the price was great. Was looking at Kuboda but decided to take a chance on the much cheaper Branson and I have not been disappointed. Phil
Thank you!

/ Tractor Shopping
With that much land go for a larger machine 35-60hp. You will need a grader blade for your road 7ft
A back hoe is expensive and too small a one will not do the stumps very good unless they are all softwood. I just traded for a new Yanmar yt 359 what a great machine warrenty for running gear,10 years
I used a 35 hp for 10yrs it did most of the work with ease.
I also have 50+acres and a 2000 ft driveway
I have a homemade grader blade 8 ft long, and a 72 in bushhog, and a gravel pit, front loader gets most of the use.
Winter, plowing snow.
Thank you.

/ Tractor Shopping
Bigger is not always better, especially when working in heavy timber. There is also all the exhaust gas crap to deal with at higher HP.
Yes you can do more and do it faster with a larger tractor, but when you have to make the trails 2-3 times wider at least at turns because that larger frame tractor needs more room to make turns and you have to maintain that wider trail, remove more trees and stumps, a smaller frame may serve him as well!
Thats my point exactly> I have a larger 80hp tractor but it is too big to maneuver through the trees. I dont want roads just a few trails. Thank you.

/ Tractor Shopping #67  
Hey Kevin,
I’ve got 8 acres with a 3038e JohnDeere. While they make a 3025, the extra hp has been invaluable and I highly recommend. I’ve put 800 hrs on it doing everything you can with that size and a few things you probably shouldn't. I agree with the other posters; digging deep holes isn’t its strong suit. Not an impossibility, but the wear/tear/time investment probably isn’t worth it when a trackhoe rental would be much faster and cheaper if you start breaking something. As for brand, I too got dissed by the local orange paint dealer. With that said, the most important factor in a tractor purchase is service after the sale, since you generally get what you pay for with any manufacturer. In my area JD was the best batch of folks.
as for implements, while a grapple is cool, its very expensive and sits alot more than its used. For my money a strong set of forks (not the over the bucket type, but a separate attachment) is my goto. They can uproot a small tree and carry it to the burn pile. Hope that helps.

Just to offer the other perspective, and not to contractict jsonlebleu, it's all a question what is important for you and how much you're willing to spend.
For me, the grapple is my favorite tool and generally the one attached to my tractor. I get a lot of fallen trees around my yard/field, like this pair that fell in the last two months <see attachment>.

You could do it with pallet forks, no question. But it's more joy with the grapple, and less work. I wouldn't cut anything shorter than 8 feet, and I can mostly just ride up to the mess, close the grapple on as much as I carry, drive it to its destination and drop it exactly where I want it. I don't even have to leave my seat much once the stuff is cut to those 8+ foot lengths, and with the grapple clamped tight on the load, very little falls out. I can't imagine it being nearly as quick and easy with pallet forks. But as folks here will often say, you use the tools you have.

Before my tractor+grapple it was a tiny garden cart, a lot of struggling, a lot of yard/field distance to get the wood even remotely out of the way, and I can tell you that's a lot of huffing and puffing (for me, anyway). So perhaps my decision to grapple was a rebound thing, but I love it. I can do in 20 minutes what used to take many hours. And it's fun :)

Attachments

• DSCN3303.JPG
    DSCN3303.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
   / Tractor Shopping #68  
Then, after 2 years and 225 hours, I sold it for $500 less than what I paid for it! I purchased 2 sizes up, the smallest 25HP COMPACT size..... I really miss having the SCUT.....
There will always be outliers, but it sounds to me like you got an incredible price from your buyer. I would much rather spend an extra $500 or so to get a new machine than take the risk of not having the new warranty or knowing how well the previous owner took care of it. The instant you drive a car (or tractor) off the lot, it takes a depreciation hit because it isn't new any more. If you found a guy that didn't feel that way, good job! You functionally rented that tractor for 2 years for $500, so you got a real bargain.

Where I am, there are always lots of those B- and BX- sized (to use Kubota terms) machines being sold on Craigslist by people that tried to buy the absolute minimum machine. I look at those little things in terms of size and the price, and a 30-40 HP L-series is very slightly largely (around and inch or two wider) and tremendously more capable for around the same price point.

/ Tractor Shopping #69  
I have a larger 80hp tractor but it is too big to maneuver through the trees.
Oh. You probably should have led with the "I have an 80hp tractor already" in your initial post. I was thinking, and I'm sure others were too, that you were some first-time buyer looking to get the tiniest possible machine to handle your 40 acres of woods. I retract most of my comment.

You're just looking for something that'll fit between some trees, in which case going for a more landscape-oriented tractor is probably a good idea, since your 80hp isn't going to be the best tool for the little small stuff anyhow. Knowing that you have a bigger machine that you can use for big/heavy work, I think a scut isn't such a bad idea.

/ Tractor Shopping #70  
There will always be outliers, but it sounds to me like you got an incredible price from your buyer. I would much rather spend an extra $500 or so to get a new machine than take the risk of not having the new warranty or knowing how well the previous owner took care of it. The instant you drive a car (or tractor) off the lot, it takes a depreciation hit because it isn't new any more. If you found a guy that didn't feel that way, good job! You functionally rented that tractor for 2 years for $500, so you got a real bargain.

Where I am, there are always lots of those B- and BX- sized (to use Kubota terms) machines being sold on Craigslist by people that tried to buy the absolute minimum machine. I look at those little things in terms of size and the price, and a 30-40 HP L-series is very slightly largely (around and inch or two wider) and tremendously more capable for around the same price point.
Oh, it was definitely an "outlier" for sure! The cost of my tractor to buy new had increased $1,000 since I had purchased it, so basically mine was $1500 less than a new one. Then I made a "package" deal with him.... a 7K x16' trailer (used 1 year), a finish mower, box blade, and PHD. (I had gotten lucky buying them used, but "like new".

When he saw the tractor for the first time, he said it "looked better" than the new ones on the dealers lot.... (yes, I did wash and wax it!) :giggle:

lucky for me, our area is 'slim pickin's' for used equipment.... whatever is for sale is beat up, never maintained, and almost looks 'salvaged'... then they ask outrageous prices for junk!