Torch problem

/ Torch problem #31  
We did it maybe three times. I was always worried about the acetone aspect of it. As in I didn't have a clue what that was all about. Just knew that WELDING GAS companies made it financially impossible to buy gas for occassional/private use.

The term CASCADE would imply to me running several tanks together as I see with certain CNC cutting machines. But all put in full and removed at the same time. Not much differential between them. I don't know what sweat more. The cylinder or me.

/ Torch problem #32  
Acetone de problem for sure. You gotta know tare weight of receiving cylinder wid Acetone in place or you can get in trouble. Fill plant add acetone if needed before pumping in Acetylene. You can also get in deep if big bottle shoots acetone into receiving bottle. Gas flow rate gotta be governed to prevent.

Cascade = multiple large bottles going into small bottle. Small bottle @ 0 to begin you fill from big wid lowest pressure till equal, den switch to filling from bottle wid next highest pressure until small bottle at full pressure. Works OK but time consuming. Gotta go slow so small bottle don't hotshot. Moving gas at pressure generates lot of heat. Hotshotted small bottle can show 2000 but only be half full by weight. When it cools will show 1000-1200.
You look at gas invoice it says XXX cubic feet pumped to 2200psi @ 70° or such. Different for Co2 and Propane sold by de pound or gallon.

6pac and 12 pac multiples you see on CNC just group of bottles, usually 330s plumbed to a manifold. You can cascade off 1 if you know how, PITA if individual bottle valves not normally operated. You try transfill off pac wid all valves open small bottle usually hotshots fast and way short of capacity.

Rac really old school been around since 50s. You usin dat much gas you better off running Dewer of LOX. Problem wid LOX is expansion loss over time. Scrap cutters love dewer wid 100 pound propane. Fill up Monday morning and cut most of week. Refill next Monday. Best if you cut 12 or 16 hours a day.

Whole lot of hotshotting playing out on guys buying gas from small vendors who fill customer owned tank while you wait. Takes over an hour to fill a 40cf by cascade minimum.

Cascade breathing air fillers real dirty salesman game on rural fire departments. Sounds good, looks good on paper, not worth squat when installed.

/ Torch problem #33  
We did it maybe three times. I was always worried about the acetone aspect of it. As in I didn't have a clue what that was all about. Just knew that WELDING GAS companies made it financially impossible to buy gas for occassional/private use.

The term CASCADE would imply to me running several tanks together as I see with certain CNC cutting machines. But all put in full and removed at the same time. Not much differential between them. I don't know what sweat more. The cylinder or me. it used to be recommended to only use 1/7 of the tank capacity, now, they recommend to only use 1/10 of the tank capacity to prevent the loss of Acetone, which means that a 390 CUFT WTL tank) Acetylene tank is on the very low side of being able to weld/cut 3/4" steel!!..

/ Torch problem #36  
It was always a let down going from acetylene to propane. Acetylene burned so nice and hot. But i get the propane, heck of a lot cheaper.
There is some interest in using propylene instead of propane or acetylene (cheaper then acetylene), but it requires "T" rated hosed and propylene rated nozzles and tips.. Debated it with others on a welding site and decided to just bite the bullet and stay with acetylene and use propane as a back up if out of acetylene...

Dale

/ Torch problem #37  
There is some interest in using propylene instead of propane or acetylene (cheaper then acetylene), but it requires "T" rated hosed and propylene rated nozzles and tips.. Debated it with others on a welding site and decided to just bite the bullet and stay with acetylene and use propane as a back up if out of acetylene...

Dale
with Propane, you need to use flux coated rods, or powder flux, as there is no shielding effect with Propane!..

/ Torch problem #38  
Yeah, but I do very little gas welding, torch is mostly for heating and bending and cutting, for most welding I use MIG.... Maybe one time in 2-3 years I need to braze something... Am aware of lacking gas bubble shielding effect (forget proper terminology) not being there with propane for gas welding but is there with acetylene....

Dale

/ Torch problem #39  
I use 5 acy. and 10 oxy. I will never go to propane! ---saw it being used and WOW! what a mess it makes!lol!

/ Torch problem #40  
You are supposed to use T hose with all alternate fuels. Funny they made it this far using regular R hose since the beginning of time.