Torch problem

/ Torch problem #11  
I have had too many used torches and parts over the years that I freely would care to admit. Seems the "O" Rings are usually the culprit in failure. But no one repairs all kinds of weird torches anymore and if they did, the prices would probably be close to someones sale price on new torches.

/ Torch problem #12  
I have had too many used torches and parts over the years that I freely would care to admit. Seems the "O" Rings are usually the culprit in failure. But no one repairs all kinds of weird torches anymore and if they did, the prices would probably be close to someones sale price on new torches.

Linking to what you say would answer all those asking about HF and other El-cheapo sets. The hook that get's customers is "Victor Type Torch". The ONLY thing those torches have in common with Victor is that Victor tips will fit them. Well maybe tips aren't the ONLY thing they have in common,the same hoses will work.:laughing: Noone has parts for them and they WILL NEED repair long before you are ready to buy another set. Victor isn't the only quility brand,there's others that are equal to and even better. Makeing it even worse is supply houses that don't even want to exchange bottles for hobbiests,much less repair equipment. If you have a pile of parts,I suggest finding a mom and pop that can be trusted and have them tell you what can be fixed or should be saved for parts. Case in point. I gave my nephew a Craftsman set that had been in the family farm shop since 1965 and not used in recent years. He wanted it for nostalgic wall art. He later asked what to use to polish it up so I suggested he take it to the mom and pop I use to have it cleaned and install new guage lens. They totally restored it so that he could use the same torch his dad used more than half a century ago. I suprised but the shop tech told me equal quility and size (the thing is huge) is expensive today. I would have had it serviced years ago had I known parts were still available.

/ Torch problem #13  
Got gas set for 10 and oxy set for 20. What should they be set for? I can feel a little oxy leakage blowing against my wet lip. Trying to light the torch it blasts & pops and quits. Shutting off the oxy all the way, it still does the same thing. Haven't used the system for a year or more. Suggestions?

You please put flag up when you post enuf information to begin to know what you talkin bout.

/ Torch problem #14  
you can't just open the valves on the torch fully, and expect it to work properly, open the acet a little bit so the torch lights, then bring it up to the point before it blows out, then add oxy so you get about a 1" inner flame..

/ Torch problem #15  
Am I correct believing that you bought a welding torch for $10.00 and a cutting torch for $20.00?
Were these used or a "too good to be true" deal on new imported equipment?
What brand is the equipment?

Believe the 10 and 20 values are PSI setting at regulators...

Dale

Thank you, DL. I get a little bit dumber every day.

/ Torch problem #16  
you can't just open the valves on the torch fully, and expect it to work properly, open the acet a little bit so the torch lights, then bring it up to the point before it blows out, then add oxy so you get about a 1" inner flame..

You are correct but would you agree that one should at least know that before surfing the web with troubleshooting questions?
Along the same line as asking "which is full thrust and which is full flaps on a Boeing 747"? Many people own a 747 for their personal use,would you answer such question had Pilot asked?

If when op said " I can feel a little oxy leakage blowing against my wet lip." didn't tell you he need's training,yomax's response certainly should tell you so. I appreciate people wanting to be helpful but it seems that TBNers don't know when it's best not wadeing in on every subject that come's up.

/ Torch problem #17  
I had cutting torches about twenty years before someone told me how they operates, with the perimeter holes heating and the middle doing the cutting. Amazing how you can do a better job when you whow what's going on.

/ Torch problem #18  
One of the best people I've ever seen use a cutting torch goes by I C Weld on YouTube.

/ Torch problem #19  
We always set ours on 7 and 30 psi;light the acetylene then turn the oxygen on.40 years in the pipe trade.