2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #171  
The first part I quoted wasn’t me.....

I’m not “ra-ra gas”, nor against diesel. I do see them as both having value, in different applications. The right tool, for the job. In pulling trailers, there is a lot of overlap. Show me where I said gas was the only option or always the best option. If I said it, I sure don’t remember it nor can I find it, in my previous posts.

It doesn’t matter who quoted it. Most of it is unproven talk.
I see gas as having value, too Deezler.
Where I disagree with you is when you make unsubstantiated claims. You cant say one thing is better than the other based on hope, or claims or recent improvements.
I agree with you gas engines have improved, but diesel engines have been vastly improved, too-even with the emissions dragging them down.

The fact is take 2 trucks, Ford, GM or RAM. Equip them exactly the same. The fact remains that the diesel will pull substantially more weight. Give both their proper maintenance schedules and proper operation, the diesel has a longer life in both hours and miles. Given optimal driving technique, the diesel will get better fuel economy and the gap in fuel economy will widen substantially with each heavy towing.

Those are indisputable facts, proven by statistics complied over many decades.

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #172  
Yep, another big diesel advantage over gas the gas guys don’t understand is “off pedal(clutch) torque”. Soon as the clutch pedal engages, diesels make far more torque than gas.

Again, you’re talking about a past that isn’t relevant. You can’t get a manual, in any “HD” pickup. The last holdout was RAM, which quit offering them, in 2019.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #173  
I have a 3/4 ton 2500 HD with the 6.0 motor and 4:10 gearing I use it to pull a 30' gooseneck flatbed trailer to haul round rolls of hay from the field to the barn and or my gooseneck stock trailer to haul cattle to the market and it does all I need it to do, with that being said I don't haul for a living, if I did I would have bought a diesel, but for my use I bought what I wanted which was a gas motor, not because I couldn't afford a diesel but because of all the problems that A LOT of diesel trucks seem to have today. I have several friends who have newer diesels and it seems to be a never ending thing with the emission systems on these trucks and several thousand dollars here to delete this and a few more thousand over hear to stud the heads and another few thousand for new injectors, no thanks, they can pull hell off the hinges when they work right but it's at a huge cost in my opinion, a lot of people just like me aren't going to pay $70k for a new diesel and then another 5 or 6k to make it more reliable and we are the gas engine folks and I hope this new gas motor set up continues to impress, because when I get ready for a new 3/4 ton it will be what I am looking for unless the government loosens the regulations on diesel engines, but I won't hold my breath.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #174  
Again, you’re talking about a past that isn’t relevant. You can’t get a manual, in any “HD” pickup. The last holdout was RAM, which quit offering them, in 2019.
Still applies as soon as torque converter is locked and applies in larger manual transmission trucks.

Lol,,,would you rather have, a gas TRUCK with LESS low rpm torque? Is that another gas “advantage“? lol
Everyone knows diesel makes more low end torque. That’s an advantage for manual or automatic.

So diesel has more torque, more longevity, more fuel economy and more low end torque.
Gas costs less up front, but given enough miles and resale, diesel will make it all up and them some.

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #175  
It doesn’t matter who quoted it. Most of it is unproven talk.
I see gas as having value, too Deezler.
Where I disagree with you is when you make unsubstantiated claims. You cant say one thing is better than the other based on hope, or claims or recent improvements.
I agree with you gas engines have improved, but diesel engines have been vastly improved, too-even with the emissions dragging them down.

The fact is take 2 trucks, Ford, GM or RAM. Equip them exactly the same. The fact remains that the diesel will pull substantially more weight. Give both their proper maintenance schedules and proper operation, the diesel has a longer life in both hours and miles. Given optimal driving technique, the diesel will get better fuel economy and the gap in fuel economy will widen substantially with each heavy towing.

Those are indisputable facts, proven by statistics complied over many decades.

Well, I confused sone things by quoting the wrong post....sorry about that.

Diesel specs have improved, but their reputation for reliability has definitely taken a hit.

Yes, the diesel will pull more. The issues come up in that diesels require the “proper operation” and “optimal driving technique”, your words, to beat out the gas.

In the right situations, the diesel is definitely better. Same can be said, for gas, in other situations.

The diesel will get better MPG, but the fuel itself costs more as does the scheduled maintenance.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #176  
I have a 3/4 ton 2500 HD with the 6.0 motor and 4:10 gearing I use it to pull a 30' gooseneck flatbed trailer to haul round rolls of hay from the field to the barn and or my gooseneck stock trailer to haul cattle to the market and it does all I need it to do, with that being said I don't haul for a living, if I did I would have bought a diesel, but for my use I bought what I wanted which was a gas motor, not because I couldn't afford a diesel but because of all the problems that A LOT of diesel trucks seem to have today. I have several friends who have newer diesels and it seems to be a never ending thing with the emission systems on these trucks and several thousand dollars here to delete this and a few more thousand over hear to stud the heads and another few thousand for new injectors, no thanks, they can pull hell off the hinges when they work right but it's at a huge cost in my opinion, a lot of people just like me aren't going to pay $70k for a new diesel and then another 5 or 6k to make it more reliable and we are the gas engine folks and I hope this new gas motor set up continues to impress, because when I get ready for a new 3/4 ton it will be what I am looking for unless the government loosens the regulations on diesel engines, but I won't hold my breath.
They have improved those systems.
It was a problem for a while, but the big 3 know they can’t lose diesel sales. That has forced them to improve the emissions systems.

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #177  
Well, the OP hasn’t logged on, since Thursday. Since my responses were to his planned usage (not what semi’s need), it doesn’t seem this thread is worth much more time.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #178  
Well, I confused sone things by quoting the wrong post....sorry about that.

Diesel specs have improved, but their reputation for reliability has definitely taken a hit.

Yes, the diesel will pull more. The issues come up in that diesels require the “proper operation” and “optimal driving technique”, your words, to beat out the gas.

In the right situations, the diesel is definitely better. Same can be said, for gas, in other situations.

The diesel will get better MPG, but the fuel itself costs more as does the scheduled maintenance.

No problem Nicorette

Yeah, lol, proper operation is required to make anything last a long time. If you have an idiot operating a machine improperly, even a gas engine can be ruined....
The fuel economy on a diesel truck loaded heavily is nearly double that of a gas engine. Big block gas is 5-6 towing at its max. Diesel is 10-12 towing at its max.
BIG difference none of the gas guys talk about is, the diesel will be towing a heavier load.

Im sure you understand economics, right? Efficiency? Sure you do. If you are towing 15 tons behind a 5500 Cummins versus 9 tons behind a 5500 gas, how many less trips do you make?

Did you ever account for that savings in diesel versus gas? Or are you still quoting internet spec sheets?

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #179  
Well, the OP hasn’t logged on, since Thursday. Since my responses were to his planned usage (not what semi’s need), it doesn’t seem this thread is worth much more time.
No worries. These threads wander around. Someone insinuated gas engines had same longevity as Diesel engines. I responded.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #180  
No problem Nicorette

Yeah, lol, proper operation is required to make anything last a long time. If you have an idiot operating a machine improperly, even a gas engine can be ruined....
The fuel economy on a diesel truck loaded heavily is nearly double that of a gas engine. Big block gas is 5-6 towing at its max. Diesel is 10-12 towing at its max.
BIG difference none of the gas guys talk about is, the diesel will be towing a heavier load.

Im sure you understand economics, right? Efficiency? Sure you do. If you are towing 15 tons behind a 5500 Cummins versus 9 tons behind a 5500 gas, how many less trips do you make?

Did you ever account for that savings in diesel versus gas? Or are you still quoting internet spec sheets?

We are agreeing on a few things. My F-350 gas gets around 5-6 MPG fully loaded, in hills and with wind (where I live there are always hills and wind). Unloaded, my heavy truck gets between 10-15, generally.

We aren’t comparing heavier loads. The OP asked about towing 10-15k, not getting the most truck so he can max it out. As I said, if you’re towing more than 20k, you should consider a diesel. I wouldn’t recommend anyone buy a gas pickup to pull 30k.

I don’t understand your trips example. The trips I have to take is more determined by the item and available trailer than what truck you use. If you’re getting paid by the ton, you should buy the heaviest duty diesel you can find. Again, not what the OP was asking about.

If his traiier and load will never be more than 15k, it doesn’t matter if he can tow 22k.

When I was truck shopping, I accounted for everything I could find. Actually, few little of it came from spec sheets. I’ve been fortunate to be able to get behind the wheel of a wide variety of vehicles and have spent a lot of time in the County Maintenance shop, seeing what holds up and what hasn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.