2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #201  
I don't know about cheby but I can tell you -- Ford isn't discounting the Sooper Duty's hardly at all.

Here's a couple links out of the blue from Brandon Ford

Note that the Diesel is actually cheaper than the Gasser 7.3

And on the lot, the diesel is $3,000 cheaper. Mostly because one is an XL and one's an XLT but a lot of it is because -- They're not discounting the 7.3L pushrod gasser.

Because they don't have to. People got all excited about a big-inch pushrod engine and I don't get it. Pushrod engines went out with Leisure Suits and are about as useful. But because they're new and haut, Ford can't make enough of them and they're not discounting them as much

The only reasons Ford did this is so they could fit a bigger engine in the Tens of THOUSANDS of Van Bodies they sell for Class C RV's and because pushrod motors are cheaper than dirt to build. And also -- Because it will fit in a Van Body engine compartment. OHC gasser Engines are wide.

I don't know about cheby but I doubt they're discounting a 1st year engine that much either. Especially since the one it's replacing was a boat anchor.

So there goes the economic reason out the door.

Especially when you consider that the diesel will be in high demand in ten years and the gasser will be sitting along the Miami River waiting to be shipped to Bolivia on a tramp steamer

If there are reasons other than economics peeps don't wanna buy a diesel, I get it.

But a diesel is stronger, more reliable, more durable, is a better engineering design (CI vs SI isn't even a contest) and is economically more practical.

But they have their drawbacks. They're heavy, they don't like to be used as a grocery-getter, they're expensive when they break (which, thanks to EPA is more often these days), they cost more for routine maintenance ($200/$300 a year) they're noisy and the diesel fumes makes the lace-panty division wrinkle their noses.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #202  
With the current issues in sourcing parts on new vehicles, no one is discounting anything, right now.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #203  
My purchase was right, for what I need a truck for, right now. No need to justify it to strangers.

So, you now 180* on what would be best for the OP? After all, he is daily driving it and only occasionally towing.

That’s mind boggling.

Last edited:
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #204  
Heck move up here and try towing heavy trailers with a pickup gas or diesel.
If you register a trailer at over 10,000 pounds some troopers will ticket you
if you don't have a valid cdl.
That dually crewcab with most any trailer better have a cdl.
Supposedly you could go to 26,000 pounds combined but the laws have a got you here.
Now we can run a straight truck with a rated GVW of under 26000 all day just don't add a trailer.
And as you get some years on it passing the cdl medical can be an issue.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #205  
Heck move up here and try towing heavy trailers with a pickup gas or diesel.
If you register a trailer at over 10,000 pounds some troopers will ticket you
if you don't have a valid cdl.
That dually crewcab with most any trailer better have a cdl.
Supposedly you could go to 26,000 pounds combined but the laws have a got you here.
Now we can run a straight truck with a rated GVW of under 26000 all day just don't add a trailer.
And as you get some years on it passing the cdl medical can be an issue.

Just another tax.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #206  
With the current issues in sourcing parts on new vehicles, no one is discounting anything, right now.
Can't even find an HD pickup on the lot around here. 1500s are not plentiful either. Agreed no discounts under these circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.