Chainsaw Caddy (carrier)

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #1  

Scar0B2150

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150 HSD
There are a great bunch of threads and posts on this subject here, but I like to try my own thing.
This is my version of a home made chainsaw carrier.
It is made from PCV pipe I molded in the shape I wanted.
Mounted with all-thread I bent and covered with tubing to prevent vibrations.

The start of the project.
The setup.
4" PVC pipe, stove pipe as heat chamber, and the mold.
SC001.jpg

SC03.jpg

My first attempt did not go so good. On the mold I left 1 side long so I could make it wider if needed.
This caused a problem with the clamps not getting good pressure. I also burnt the end of the pipe, but still did not get it hot enough, which caused it to crack.
SC01b.jpg

SC02.jpg

I cut the mold side down, and adjusted my heat times. Try 2~3 worked great.
SC05.jpg

SC08.jpg

I mounted one to the ROPS with the all-thread I bent.
Only time will tell how well this position will keep the saw inside it, and if the PCV will hold up.
If it does, I plan to add the other one on the opposite side.
SC10.jpg

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #2  
A novel approach - nice to see that ! That is a very interesting process. What kind of temp do you need to achieve in the "oven" and how much work time do you have to get it into the compressed mold.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #4  
I once heat molded a small airplane windshield using the old cracked one as the mold.
I found a willing pizza shop that let me use his oven as the heat source.
Worked out so well that the authorities signed it off as 'airworthy'.*

All to suggest that a pizza oven might be the favored heat source for such projects.

* I was well prepared in that the whole process of molding was done in about 20 mins or so.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #5  
I used HDPE which is tougher than PVC as a sheath. It really got chewed up fast and I'll not do that again. Let us know how this works for you.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier)
A novel approach - nice to see that ! That is a very interesting process. What kind of temp do you need to achieve in the "oven" and how much work time do you have to get it into the compressed mold.
I can't say how hot it actually was. With my Dewalt heatgun set to high heat and low airflow, I heated for 2 minutes, then I turned it over inside the pipe, heat for 2 min, turn, 1 min, turn, 1 min.
At this point the PVC was slouching inside the "oven". Any more and I was afraid it would collapse onto itself.
Working time is not long. Maybe 3 minutes. But once I had a system down that was not an issue.
Pull it out of the pipe, lay it down in the bottom, insert the inside spacer and press the spacer down into the groove. Clamp the ends of the insert.
Roll the sides out as evenly as I could, and placed the top board on it. Clamp it for about 8~10 minutes.
The ends were misshaped a little so I cut them off.
Another thing I noticed is it shortened in length. I lost approx 1"~1-1/2" of length before I trimmed off the ends.
18" to start, -1" shrinkage, -1/2" trim (1/4" [+/-] off each end).
It worked out OK because my saws are 16" and 12".

Two last things to note; I laid plywood on the floor help the "oven" retain more heat. The PVC is nasty bad to breath when heated so I opened the garage door!

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #7  
I've heated to bend HDPE many, many times, but I've never done PVC. Now you got me wodnering hows PVC is different....

I once heat molded a small airplane windshield using the old cracked one as the mold.
I found a willing pizza shop that let me use his oven as the heat source.
Worked out so well that the authorities signed it off as 'airworthy'.*

All to suggest that a pizza oven might be the favored heat source for such projects.

* I was well prepared in that the whole process of molding was done in about 20 mins or so.
Not sure I would want to get the first Pizza the next day! 🤢
I used HDPE which is tougher than PVC as a sheath. It really got chewed up fast and I'll not do that again. Let us know how this works for you.
I'm glad I decided not to go that route then. 👍 I thought about it as possible option.
My big concern is the brittleness of the PCV. Especially when it is cold out.
I'll be sure to keep you all posted as things progress.

HDPE is not as hard, is it more resistant to chips. I use it for cutting boards because it is easy on the knife edge.
PVC is harder, but prone to scratches/chipping, and being harder it's more brittle.
EDIT:
There are also different PVC compounds. Some are softer then others.
IE; PVC conduit Vs PVC SDR 35 which is what I used.

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #10  
Like in blacksmithing, heat is your friend. Controlling the heat is the trick.

Having a hard time seeing all the pictures.

Like my poly lined steel scabbards.