L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #1  

killingitcountry

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Hello,

I've made this video showing oil changes on my lawn mowers and now that I'm watching it ... wow those mower decks look awful! Does anyone have any experience refurbishing mower decks, what has worked for you, what has not worked for you. They're not totally destroyed yet so I wound like to do something soon. Maybe I can make a video on that as well. Thanks!

- James

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #2  
What did you do to cause the decks to look like that? It also looks like the engine is leaking oil everywhere. My old JD 175 Hydro was over 25 years old with a couple thousand hours and it looked nothing like that.

1617420335737.png

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #3  
I have a side cut out of a quart oil bottle that I use as a funnel to catch the oil coming out of the filter to prevent what you are experiencing with the oil mess. And you need to prefill the oil filter before installing it. If they filter is empty when installed take 3 seconds for the oil to permeate the oil filter media.

Mower repair shop owner and technician for 23 years, and Briggs Master Service Technician for 21 years.

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #4  
I have a side cut out of a quart oil bottle that I use as a funnel to catch the oil coming out of the filter to prevent what you are experiencing with the oil mess. And you need to prefill the oil filter before installing it. If they filter is empty when installed take 3 seconds for the oil to permeate the oil filter media.

Mower repair shop owner and technician for 23 years, and Briggs Master Service Technician for 21 years.

I use one of those Form-a-Funnels. I can mold it into whatever shape needed and stick it back under the oil filter. It then directs whatever dribbles out right into my catch pan. As for draining the oil, I started using an oil sucker years ago for all my small engines and no longer have to fool with the drain plugs and crush washers.

1617508070376.png

I agree pre-filling the filter is a good idea but it's almost impossible to do on the horizontally mounted filters without making a mess.

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #5  
@jgayman I to have used an oil sucker for most oil changes at the shop. Doesn't work with the Kohler command engines due to a lip that prevents you from reaching the bottom of the oil pan on the vertical engines. And small engine oil filters are anti drainback so adding some oil to the filter a couple of times allowing it to soak into the media is not that messy. Doesn't have to be full when installed just basically half full. The media creates an air lock in the filter so you reduce the air lock by prefilling.

Briggs a few years go even had an engine that you had to drain and refill the oil before removing and replacing the filter because if you drained the oil and removed the oil filter it would air lock the pump ending in broken connecting rods.

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #6  
@jgayman I to have used an oil sucker for most oil changes at the shop. Doesn't work with the Kohler command engines due to a lip that prevents you from reaching the bottom of the oil pan on the vertical engines. And small engine oil filters are anti drainback so adding some oil to the filter a couple of times allowing it to soak into the media is not that messy. Doesn't have to be full when installed just basically half full. The media creates an air lock in the filter so you reduce the air lock by prefilling.

Briggs a few years go even had an engine that you had to drain and refill the oil before removing and replacing the filter because if you drained the oil and removed the oil filter it would air lock the pump ending in broken connecting rods.
Wow, never hear of that before. Can you identify the engines that have this issue ?

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #7  
I just rebuilt the deck on my 2007 LA130/48" deck. Just a little over $200 with parts from dealer United Ag and Turf. Not hard at all

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question #8  
Wow, never hear of that before. Can you identify the engines that have this issue ?
Looks like the service bulletin that listed the specific models has been removed from the Briggs dealer site. I remember is was close to 20 years ago so something may of changed or they listed it is the specific service manual for that engine. I just remember saying to myself I will have to keep an eye out for that engine just in case, and in reality I never saw one. May have to do with the recommendation to pre fill the oil filters.

There is currently an engine that they call oil guard that has an external 5 quart oil tank and is a dry sump engine that requires the system to be primed through a port with an oil can before starting the engine Allows the engine to operate at 45 degree angles as opposed to the normal 30 degree angles.

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question
What did you do to cause the decks to look like that? It also looks like the engine is leaking oil everywhere. My old JD 175 Hydro was over 25 years old with a couple thousand hours and it looked nothing like that.

View attachment 693116
LA140 was sitting outside on the property when I moved here. It was very poorly maintained and never stored inside. As a result - I started heavily undercoating the machine and deck with Krown rust proofing (that was 2016). The engine does not leak a drop of oil - it's the undercoating you're seeing. The L120 was given to us in basically the same condition for free. It needed a drive belt and a battery. Everyone is pretty quick to judge LOL ... it`s okay, I have broad shoulders!

/ L120 & LA140 Engine Oil Changes AND mower deck question
I always knew it needed a coat of paint ... just needed a little time ... haha