10,000 mile RAM 5500 report

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #21  
Have 2008 ram 2500 315000 miles, 2011 280000 miles, 2019 24000 miles great trucks all three run everyday in our work

Last edited:
   / 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #22  
His GMC had less than 1500 miles and Dealer unable to repair... he wanted trade in back for his business... they ended up getting home something rated for 12k towing.

New GMC in shop for months... solution was to pull entire engine/trans with controls off assembly line and do a transplant... that did the job but soured the experience so traded on the Dodge... still warranty on GMC.

It seems to make a big difference when trading if remaining factory warranty in place...

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report
What Dodge do you have?
I am hoping Ram will go the route of GM and build a “6500”, but equipped with air brakes.
Id trade my 20 in on one in a heartbeat.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #24  
What Dodge do you have?
I am hoping Ram will go the route of GM and build a “6500”, but equipped with air brakes.
Id trade my 20 in on one in a heartbeat.
My favorite truck I've had was my 05 F650 with the 230hp 5.9 cummins and Allison trans. The only thing that would have made it better was if it had air ride and the 260hp version of the 5.9.
Unfortunately I think the new 650 front ends are too ugly to me.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #25  
My brother is still buying Dodges, at least the last three were... But he doesn't keep them long term at all... My Dodge hasn't been so reliable, I like the Cummins, I just wish it didn't have a Dodge wrapped around it!

The most reliable I own, is a "12" Chevy, with 252,000 on it (gas engine) and counting. So far (other than brakes, tires ect..) it has had a throttle position sensor, a relay, shocks and one wheel bearing! Everything else is original, starter, alt., tranny, EVERYTHING else hasn't been touched, still doesn't burn oil and it starts, runs and drives like the day I bought it.

My other two Chevys trucks are on track to be good trucks too.

Gas here us $2.50 to 2.60, diesel is $3.00 to 3.10 per gallon! That a big difference!

BTW, in all the trucks I've bought, I've yet to have one have an noticeable increase in fuel economy after is "broken in"...

SR

That was true 5-10 years ago.
GM is a better all around truck, but the newer Rams are closing in fast. The last couple years have been noticeable.
For me it was purely the superior towing capacity and the Cummins/Aisin. GM's 4500/5500/6500 is a big package with disappointing GCWR

Your gas prices are on par with mine, but I'm getting 40-50% better fuel economy with the diesel over any gas truck, so those fuel prices are peanuts compared to my higher MPG. I also get to enjoy 800+ ft lbs of torque with the 40-505 better fuel economy.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #27  
When I factor in the trans/electrical problems my dodge has cost me, the 10k extra the diesel option cost + def, and the extra $ my diesel cost me to maintain it. My gas engine trucks are easily coming out ahead...

All it takes it ONE diesel problem, and you are waaaaay behind on dollars that you never got ahead on, in the first place!!

"been there done that"!

BTW, check your millage with a paper and pencil, Dodges puters are known to be off by quite a bit at times...

SR

Extra 10k? I didn’t pay that. Let’s keep the exaggerations in check...
DEF is like $7 for 2 gallons.
I do about 1 of those every 1000 miles. People spend more on cigarettes and coffee in one morning lol
So far I have added 9 containers of DEF.
That’s a “whopping” $63 dollars a year. Lol
I did hand calculate my fuel economy and the computer is spot on. If I spend $3 and drive 14-15 miles, that’s cheaper than spending $2.50 and driving 10-11 miles.

....And lets stop ignoring the 50-100% torque advantage and the 25% towing capacity advantage....
Don’t make me show you how many trips I save per year with a diesel truck fully loaded compared to a gas version fully loaded. Don’t forget to put that on your little “expenses chart”, too...:rolleyes:
2 trips for a diesel versus 3 for gas? That adds up real fast.
Any vehicle, truck or car, diesel or gas, can be expensive to fix. Let’s keep it real and not single out diesel vehicles. Seen many gas trucks in the service bays, too.

Last edited:
   / 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #29  
My excavation buddy moves his small excavators on his Cummins powered Ford 750 rollback with air brakes.

Great looking rig and able to get in places he couldn't towing a trailer.

Overall he is disappointed with power and brakes...

I'm thinking finding the sweet spot is harder today.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #30  
Well, I must be spoiled. I would not be ecstatic about a new vehicle with 10k trouble free miles....but then again you have had a couple of minor hiccups, so I suppose for a Dodge that is excellent. Lol

I had a temperature sensor go at about 45k miles on one of the F150’s and was a bit perturbed about it. The other has 151k on it. Bought it with 134k on the clock. 17k uneventful miles.
Well, if you went through some of the nightmares Hay Dude did a few years back with his Ford 6.0 truck(s) IIRC -It would make sense why he is happy with the new Ram truck.