New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV #411  
Why would you change from PEX to copper? When you run the PEX, or any other water line through concrete, be sure to put pipe insulation around it so the pipe never touches the concrete.

The only thing I use more then the water spicket outside my shop is the sink inside the shop. Run a drain line where a sink would go and install it later if it's a Code or Inspection issue. Just run the drain to an area where you want to water the plants.

/ New House Build in WV
Why would you change from PEX to copper? When you run the PEX, or any other water line through concrete, be sure to put pipe insulation around it so the pipe never touches the concrete.

The only thing I use more then the water spicket outside my shop is the sink inside the shop. Run a drain line where a sink would go and install it later if it's a Code or Inspection issue. Just run the drain to an area where you want to water the plants.

I planned to change to metal since it will be exposed on the interior side of the foundation wall. I figured the metal would be more durable when exposed.

/ New House Build in WV #413  
I did something similar for my garden. I used copper to go up the fence posts and attach the spickets. I thought the copper would be better for weed eating around those posts.

This was a mistake. I covered the copper in foam, and slid a 2 inch pvc pipe over it to stop it from freezing, and 2 out of a dozen pipes burst when we got down to -6F two months ago. I should have stuck with PEX.

And to make it worse, I never weed eat around them. I spray with round up.

/ New House Build in WV
The garage will be heated, so the exposed pipe freezing should not be an issue. I could come up out of the concrete with pex, then put something around the pex to protect it. This would keep me from having a connection under the concrete.

Now that I think about it, maybe running pvc conduit under the concrete to run the pex in is the best solution.

/ New House Build in WV #415  
What would be the advantage of putting PEX inside PVC?

/ New House Build in WV
What would be the advantage of putting PEX inside PVC?

Protection while pouring concrete, and the possibility of being able to pull in a new line in the future if there is ever a failure, is my thinking. I want the pex protected where exposed either way, and it wasn’t much more difficult to just put the entire run in conduit. It’s done now, and other than putting forms at the door openings and snapping lines around the foundation, I’m ready for concrete.

/ New House Build in WV #417  
Progress has been slow since Saturday with Easter on Sunday and baseball activities yesterday evening and this evening. I did manage to get several more boxes of flooring down and more outlets installed.

Concrete is ordered for Friday morning to pour the garage floor and A/C and generator pad.

I would like to have a water hose spigot outside of the garage. My choices are to run pex under the concrete changing over to metal coming out of the concrete, I’m thinking copper, then going through the concrete foundation and mounting a spigot on the foundation or running the pex over the garage, in the attic, then back down the outside wall with the spigot coming out of the wall.

If I go under the concrete, there will be the short metal pipe showing on the inside of the foundation wall. I would just paint it to match the wall color. If I go into the garage attic and down the wall, nothing is exposed. I don’t believe it would freeze under the concrete, and I could insulate over/around it line in the attic. Not sure which method is most freeze proof.

I’m torn on which route to take. Any suggestions??
Which ever way you go, add hot water there as well. House is looking great! You’re getting into the fun part.

/ New House Build in WV
Concrete pour went great today. Ordered 18.5 yards and I doubt there was enough left to fill two 5 gallon buckets, just the way I like it. What a relief it is to have that done.

IMG_7925.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg

IMG_7923.jpg

IMG_7921.jpg

/ New House Build in WV
The slab on the outside, for trash cans or wire in a generator?

Air conditioner and generator will sit on it.

Couldn’t get the truck around there, so I had to carry the concrete in the tractor bucket.