What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer?

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #1  

Timmer92

Tractor
Kubota L3901
Good morning,

Heading to an auction today. They have a 16' dovetail deck trailer on the list. I don't know if they are including the dovetail in that length measurement, it would be more common to have an 18' trailer with a 2' dovetail given my research. Would the ball for a trailer usually be a 2" or 2 5/16"? I don't have the larger, I would need to go purchase one.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #4  
Good morning,

Heading to an auction today. They have a 16' dovetail deck trailer on the list. I don't know if they are including the dovetail in that length measurement, it would be more common to have an 18' trailer with a 2' dovetail given my research. Would the ball for a trailer usually be a 2" or 2 5/16"? I don't have the larger, I would need to go purchase one.
I would definitely buy/bring a 2-5/16" ball.
Keep it in the packaging, and keep the receipt.
If you don't need it you can return it.
Don't forget the wenches.

Be careful how high you bid!
Brakes, tires, whl. bearings, break away battery, replacement decking, lights/wiring, can add up fast.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #5  
Typically, any 2-axle trailer is 2 5/6 ball for safety reasons.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #7  
I was looking at a new 7K trailer a couple of weeks ago and it had a 2" hitch, so should and is are two entirely different things. Only way to know is to put eyes on it for it could be either one.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #8  
What is the axle(s) weight rating? Tandem axle I assume? Most likely 2-5/16".

I have seen 2" couplers on some 7000# tandem trailers, but it's rare.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #9  
Hitch ball size depends on trailer GVW and how easy the trailer manufacturer wanted to make your life.

Apparently there's quite a range of weights supported by 2" balls, but I've only commonly seen 2" hitches rated for up to 6k and only rarely have seen 8k. There's no way to tell for sure without looking at the trailer.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #10  
Like others have said, you need to see in person. It might even be a pintle ring or a 1-7/8's, lol. If you buy one, make sure the shank will fit your ball mount.