Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #502  
Retailers who keep the same % markup are making lots more money.

Assume 50% markup.

Retailer buys lumber for $100 sells for $150. Makes $50.

Retailer buys lumber for $200 sells for $300. Makes $100.

Retailers always keep their percent markup the same and make much more money. But claim they don’t since their % markup is the same.

MoKelly

Or alternately, at $150 retailer sells three times as much as at $300, so he makes less money at the higher price. There's no question that people are cutting back and waiting for lower prices.

Or another alternative: retailer can't get any material from the mill. He still has to pay all of his expenses even though he has nothing to sell.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #503  
Was talking to a coworker today. He went on-line to a big box lumber yard, saw a price for 12' cedar 2x6's for $39.00. Didn't place the order on-line. Went to the store the next day and they were now $51.00. Price went up what, about 30% overnight? Yikes! He needed 14 of them an that added about another $150. Yikes.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #504  
Drywall is now running low and price going up; as well as metal studs, acoustical ceilings, etc.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #505  
Or alternately, at $150 retailer sells three times as much as at $300, so he makes less money at the higher price. There's no question that people are cutting back and waiting for lower prices.

Or another alternative: retailer can't get any material from the mill. He still has to pay all of his expenses even though he has nothing to sell.

Try using that logic next time you are in HD and want to buy lumber. Tell them to lower price and you’ll buy more. Good luck with that one.. Video the talk and post here.

MoKelly

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #506  
I was at the pro desk at lowe's for about 15 minutes yesterday trying to get my order straight. I wont bore you with the details but i will say i've been at that desk at least 5 times begging someone to do their job. Truly a sad state of affairs.

Some guy behind me was all fussy about having to wait, kinda grunting etc etc. I suggested he get a chair because it was gonna be a long wait.....he gave me the stink eye.

I finished but couldn't help overhearing the other guys question/complaint. He was pissed because they didn't have roofing nails in the usual 5 lb tub, just those low volume high cost plastic boxes.

He waited all that time, asked his question, they said nope, and he left, grunting all the way.

I understand his complaint but....That one makes no sense.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #507  
$100 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply around here. I thought $36 was high last year.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #510  
Wow! Wow! I wonder at what price people will stop buying?

MoKelly

I quit. My projects are on hold. I have a privacy fence I am going to have to bite the bullet on to keep my wife happy otherwise I am going to wait.