How to compost 107 dead hogs

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #22  
Whilst composting might seem to resolve the problem of over supply or diseased stock I am wondering where this compost will end up, in bags sold to home gardeners, spread in bulk over pastures or market gardens?

This leaves some serious questions that need to be addressed, given these animals are fed growth hormones along with antibiotics and heaps of other drugs, some of which will not be effected or broken down in the composting process, then there is the extreme danger of humans contracting Brucilosis ("I think that's the right spelling"), from coming in contact with this compost , Blood and bone has clear warnings on the bags in Australia at least, any one that has worked in slaughter yards or rendering plants can tell you just how debilitating it can be, there are other infections equally as bad that can slowly and painfully kill you from coming in contact with decomposed animal parts.

Yes they can be disinfected or masked with more chemicals that will all doubtlessly end up in the food chain.
This Corona Virus certainly has changed or effected us all in unimaginable ways, who would have predicted otherwise healthy hogs would become Corona victims.
My Honest opinion to the composting of live stock on mass is that it's a huge Biological time bomb.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #23  
No hormones have been allowed in US poultry production for more than 50 years. They were banned in the United States in the 1950s.

Last edited:
   / How to compost 107 dead hogs #24  
Interesting. But I could almost smell the video. Woohee.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #25  
Not really related to this thread other than, I used to live in "North West Iowa" (Sioux City). Down where I worked, was on one corner, a stockyard which for a city-boy like me, smelled to high hog..... however, not to be out done, across the street from the stockyard was (if I recall correctly) a slaughterhouse and it ALSO smelled to high hog..... both were bad for a city-boy like me....and it all boiled down to the wind.

Wind blows "this" way.... we smelled the stockyard. Wind blows "that" way, we smelled the slaughter house. You finally got a bit accustomed to it (but not fully for me) and it was always lingering and annoying.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #26  
I have a state certified compost operation for my cattle feedlot. I regularly compost culled steers. It's a concrete lined area with retaining walls and it's completely insulated from any runoff. Takes about 30 days to completely compost an average steer including the skull and all the bones and I spread the compost on my fields with a manure spreader after it's cooked. Lots of very stringent rules you have to follow and no, there is no smell. Just a bit of steam from the decomposition process. Even composted a few horses in the past. I monitor the temperature daily. Thought about running pipes in the bottom of the pit to heat the barns and shop but never did. Average temperature is about 130-145 degrees, Kills everything. No weeds, just black loam comes out. Good crop growing medium.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #27  
Ever see a pig die from old age? I bet not. I won't eat pork because it's loaded with cancer producing organisms. Pretty obvious to me that Jewish people know what is good and what isn't.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #29  
Ever see a pig die from old age? I bet not. I won't eat pork because it's loaded with cancer producing organisms. Pretty obvious to me that Jewish people know what is good and what isn't.

Bacon is from God.

MoKelly