bush hog recommendation

/ bush hog recommendation #1  

trc313

Tractor
kubota mx4800
new to the forum!!
I have a kubota MX4800 and need a bush hog to do about 8 acres. Its fairly hilly with some exposed rock here and there. What size would you recommend. I borrowed a 4 foot from a friend and it took way longer than what I wanted it to. I want something that will last and a good warranty. Thanks in advanced

/ bush hog recommendation #2  
I have a six ft.Landpride on my L4240 and it's a good fit;also have a 5ft.Bush-Hog branded on our 30 H.P. tractor and it has a ton of hours with no problems.The six footer would be a good fit for yours.

/ bush hog recommendation #3  
6 or 7 footer. 7 foot single spindle will be a unwieldy beast when turning. 7 foot dual spindle would be fine. Land Pride RCD1884.

/ bush hog recommendation #4  
I’d go with the 6ft. A 7 is going to be a tiny bit much if you have to delay cutting for whatever reason and the grass gets thick, especially on that hilly ground.

/ bush hog recommendation #5  
I have a LandPride 6 footer on my MX5200 and it works great. I wouldn't want another foot

Andy

/ bush hog recommendation #6  
With your roughly 40HP PTO rating, you go up to an 8 foot rotary cutter. However, at this size, you may find your tractor maxed out with tall grass on your hills.
The issue comes that a single spindle 7 or 8 foot unit gets to be beast. While dual spindles on these takes a bit more HP to run effectively. If you are able yo stay on top if the cutting, you should be able to use these, if you only plan to cut a couple of times a year, you will be better served with a 6 foot cutter.
Regardless of width, get a cutter that is build heavy and able to cut a bigger diameter material than you plan to cut. If you plan to cut up to 1” stuff, get a cutter rated to cut 2” stuff. You will get much better service from the cutter long term.

/ bush hog recommendation #7  
We have a Woods BB720x (6ft) on our MX5800 tractor. It does a great job on the brush and saplings. It has a 3" cutting capacity and is pretty stout at ~1200 lbs. We paid a little extra for the chain guards.

/ bush hog recommendation #9  
Six foot would be good fit. Seven ft single would be a beast. Medium duty should be sufficient unless its going to take a beating. I’d stay away from those light duty models that many offer including major brands like Bush Hog.

Last edited:
   / bush hog recommendation #10  
If you have HST, 8' twin. Only downside is they are about twice the cost of a single spindle 6' mower. And for only 8 acres.....may not be worth it.

A single 6 should do that mowing in about 3 hours, a twin 8 might cut it down to 2. If that 8 acres is all you got....my money would tell me to stick with the 6' just due to cost