Potato Salad Research

/ Potato Salad Research #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
Potato Salad Research!

Who knew? I decided it was potato salad weather, so peeled some potatoes. I don't like how soggy they get when I boil them up, so decided to put them in a large casserole dish and microwave them. Susan suggested I put some vinegar in the bottom of the dish to steam them and bring out the flavor. The result was unsalted potatoes that tasted GREAT!

Here's the recipe:

Peel a bunch of potatoes and slice them into bite sized bits.
Put them in a big covered casserole
Dump a couple big glops of cider vinegar on them, plus a little water for steaming.
Microwave on high for 6 minutes, on 8 for 20 minutes, on 7 for 30 minutes. That has nothing to do with the potatoes, but if you run a microwave on high for over half an hour you risk burning out the magnetron, which is an expensive part. Potatoes take a while to cook anyway, so what the heck...

After the spuds are cooked, do your thing with eggs, mayo, pickles, mustard, onions, whatever makes you drool.

Yeah, I know russets are the ones that get mushy, but they were on sale 5 lbs. for 88 cents. The yellow and red ones were way more expensive, so I went with the dollar bill in my pocket. :geek:

/ Potato Salad Research #2  
Sounds good. I often pop a potato in for a quick snack, I'll have to try your method for a bit of extra flavor. 👍

/ Potato Salad Research #3  
russets are high in starches. but tasty

/ Potato Salad Research #4  
I only use russets for baking, in potato salad it's either reds or some generic white potato. Good way to use up the ones that have started to get a little rubbery come spring.

Poll: hard-boiled egg in potato salad or not? For me it's NO WAY! Don't particularly like eggs, and have always hated them hard boiled.

/ Potato Salad Research #5  
I only use russets for baking, in potato salad it's either reds or some generic white potato. Good way to use up the ones that have started to get a little rubbery come spring.

Poll: hard-boiled egg in potato salad or not? For me it's NO WAY! Don't particularly like eggs, and have always hated them hard boiled.
Those rubbery potatoes left over in spring get put back into the ground for my summer crop. I always buy new seed for the main crop, so that I'm rotating it out every year. Red Norlands and either Green Mountains or Katahdins are what I raise.
No eggs in my potato salad, and no mayonnaise. Potatoes, onions, oil and vinegar with salt, pepper, and parsley flakes is that way that I've always had it.

/ Potato Salad Research #7  
"They call me Tater Salad"

/ Potato Salad Research #9  
Peel and slice 5 pounds of potatoes and a couple large onions.
Boil the potatoes and onions until soft.
Drain and leave in the pan.
Fry 1 pound of bacon.
Remove the bacon and set aside.
Double the amount of bacon grease with vinegar.
Double that amount with brown sugar.
Add that to the potatoes and onions.
Crumble the bacon up and add that to the mixture.

Serve hot.

/ Potato Salad Research #10  
I use turkey bacon read too many horror stories about the little
worms from pork and its such a bad meat you can't even grade it.
I wrap up the big russet potatoes in aluminum foil and put them on
the grill, when they cool off peal them and slice them up with celery,
mustard, mayo, hard boiled eggs, chopped onions, garlic powder,
chopped black olives, chopped up cheddar cheese, mix well and you
have a meal all ready.

When I was a kid I would get a chunk of big bolonay grind it up in
the meat grinder then grind up some home made pickles and mayo
mix well and spread on home made bread makes a great sandwich.

willy