Off Road Diesel

/ Off Road Diesel #31  
GM was rumored to be buying a 11% stake in Nikola, but pulled out. They didnt like what they saw.
I like the idea of an IC engine powered by a clean fuel with 0 tailpipe emissions more than electric, because electric STILL REQUIRES more coal burning power plants to charge them.
Unfortunately, the Sunami about to hit us is all electric. The gubmit went head long into it by subsidizing it and with the emotional teenagers screaming about environmentalism, I think the hydrogen possibility won’t get off the ground in any BIG way soon. :rolleyes:
Thats why I invested in Plug and Ballard.

Many of my relatives work or have retired from GM, I'm from flint, the land of the leaded water!

Considering GMs track record from say 1970 on.....Maybe GMs pulling out of Nicla is a good sign?

I had a girl friend in Italy named nicla, honest, cardiologist, she broke my heart ;)

/ Off Road Diesel #32  
Used off road diesel for the last 25 years(My own outdoor tanks) with NO ISSUES summer and winter blend.I use winter additives and never had any gelling problems..

Nice set-up Coobie! What brand of filters you run?

/ Off Road Diesel #33  
I filled my fuel drum up with off road last fall, I paid $1.40 a gallon. Wish I had a bigger drum.

My supplier is where the farmers in this area get their fuel.

They said, they really don't want to deal with a bunch of angry farmers, so their off road fuel is a quality product. They even put in their own additive package, which they showed me, to make sure of it.

It's been 15 years, and I have had zero problems.

Sure wish I could buy off road gasoline for my mowers. :greedy:

Its a shame that is the motivation they require to deliver a quality product. Although angry farmers can be an intimidating, you should offer quality fuel with the required additives because its the RIGHT THING TO DO, not because they might get their arse kicked by an angry farmer.

Last edited:
   / Off Road Diesel #34  
Nice set-up Coobie! What brand of filters you run?
Murph,they are petro-clear filters.I buy them from my fuel delivery guy.I change them once a year so far no issues they are about $10 a filter and have the drain pet cock on the bottom of the filter.

Last edited:
   / Off Road Diesel #35  
Its a shame that is the motivation they require to deliver a quality product. Although angry farmers can be an intimidating, you should offer quality fuel with the required additives because its the RIGHT THING TO DO, not because they might get their arse kicked by an angry farmer.

You are welcome to make your assumptions.

You seem to completely rule out the possibility that they do offer a superior product because they choose to.

They certainly are not a fly by night outfit. The family business is 86 years years old.

I was there for the entire conversation, and the context of their remark was assure me they had a superior product to the gas stations. That has been my experience.

/ Off Road Diesel #36  
About all they do for winter is add kerosene. I usually add about 10% if I bought the barrel full in the summer plus the anti gel. I talked to a trucker about why he was pumping off road and kerosene into his semi. He said the mix gave him and extra 15-20 horse power and better fuel mileage. He also had $10,000 in the bank for 20 years just in case he ever got stopped and checked for off road. Ready to pay the fine.

/ Off Road Diesel #37  
The only local station that sells off road diesel just changed their pump station by putting on a ultra high capacity dispensing handle. I suppose it is great for filling a large 100 gallon transfer tank mounted on a pick-up bed. But unfortunately the nozzle is too big of a diameter to fit into any of my fuel cans or even my tractor.:( I have a couple of Jerry cans it will fit, but it pumps out diesel so fast (No slow mode, it is all out or nothing) it is almost impossible fill a 5 gallon Jerry can without making a mess.:(:(

/ Off Road Diesel #39  
That won’t help. The high capacity fuel pumps dispense fuel at up to 30 GPM. REGULAR PUMPS SET AT ABOUT 3-5 Gpm. A little funnel won’t help at those rates. You’ll be covered in diesel.

the high flow nozzle fits in both my 2004 f350 and 1994 Dodge Ram. But the flow rate is so high I usually get way too much foaming.

/ Off Road Diesel #40  
2.53 in western n.c. last week, was advised by a diesel mechanic to add oil as this new fuel has no lubrication properties