What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #441  
I ordered a nice plastic pallet, the most common pallet size and 6000 pound capacity ... also plan to use it as a work platform ... relying on it not to fall. (Yes, FELs aren't supposed to be counted on for safety, but I think a fall from 4 or 6 feet is a small enough risk.)
I had a scare back when I was a carpenter. First day on a job I was assigned a forklift with a non-code platform with a railing, to work on a second story window. Then I drove the rig to the next window ... and when I went over a bump the platform fell to the ground.

I found a fresh - and broken - weld where the lift chain had been attached to the platform.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #442  
Shop loaded my little Yanmar into my trailer ...

p1530374rloadingym186datdaves-jpg.460565

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?
   / What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #444  
Didn't stop for pics, but I used mine to load up an old washer and dryer into the back of my truck to haul them to the dump.

Love them forks, sure are a back saver.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #445  
i think they would be useful as an engine hoist, but I have one of those already

holding lumber at a build site (chicken coop)

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #446  
How about packing the Afton stone (crushed limestone) I just spread. Rear tires are loaded on the BX2230, loader bucket full of dirt, IBC totes filled with 125 gallons of water on the rear forks. I added water to tote with the 3pt arms in the up position. After a while, it had settled a bit and had to use the B26TLB bucket to raise it up. Jon

Attachments

• 20210525_191002.jpg
    20210525_191002.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 99
   / What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #447  
How about packing the Afton stone (crushed limestone) I just spread.
Similar here, forks as part of a grading project.

Most land planes are simply towed. But I need the ability to lift this one, using the forks, for tight U-turns when smoothing my narrow lane. The cross-chain in the photo allows this lift.

I took this photo when I was improving it with a permanent chain on each front corner, with hooks to pull it from the front of the forks assembly.

Also, setting the weight of the forks on the land plane makes a crude blade for levelling gopher mounds in the orchard.
20210321_194855rlandplaneinshop-jpg.693293

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #448  
Holding a workpiece up where you can get at it, and moving it around for the best angle!

I did this with my bucket (before I had the forks) with a short set of pressure treated lumber stairs I was fixing for the front walk. I held them up where I could work on them easily to drive a bunch more screws and hose all the detritus out of the way. It was helpful but would have been even better with the forks.

I may use them when I treat a plywood slab with linseed oil later this week.

We plan to build a set of planters for a border to the driveway. I figure not only will I use the forks for whatever is easier when held up high, but I will also actually design the planters to fit the forks, so I can reposition them easily. For example, the planters will block cars from rolling off a high bank, but I may relocate one planter to make room for dumping snow down that bank in the winter.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #449  
My photo above in post #447 also shows the unique 3-point forks assembly that I built from scrap materials, for use with the Quick Hitch. Recommended!

Here's a photo using the forks. The platform has a bedframe angle iron perimeter, over a pallet.
20191106_163749rym186d-harvestgrannies-jpg.633196

And another use of the forks to carry something. This photo most clearly shows how the forks are made.
I built the forks as a temporary solution for some project, intending to buy 'real' forks later, but these have held up for 15 years without damage. So no need to upgrade.
20190625_104217rrearforks-blue-jpg.635377

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #450  
Eat dinner.