Binders and chain

/ Binders and chain #11  
This is why I use ratchet binders now. Also, have had a few bruises from the lever style.
some US federal agencies now require ratchet type for transport (forestry service is one) and lever style not approved.
I would not be surprised to see DOT following this in years to come.

when hauling bobcat around I also wrap the the lever, usually the chain slack itself is enough but if not I bungee.

/ Binders and chain #12  
Anyone using the 7000 pound yellow ratchet tapes? We've been using two of those (front and back) for short hauls (5 miles or less)? John Deere 870 on 16' flatbed with two 3500 pound axles.

/ Binders and chain #13  
These are what I use. Also the regular 2" straps for the attachments and such.

Attachments

• wheel straps.jpg
    wheel straps.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 103
   / Binders and chain #14  
Anyone using the 7000 pound yellow ratchet tapes? We've been using two of those (front and back) for short hauls (5 miles or less)? John Deere 870 on 16' flatbed with two 3500 pound axles.
I looped one over the front bumper on my L3200 & cranked it down hard. A 15 minute ride later the not sharp at all corner of the bumper had half way cut through the heavy strap. I mostly switched to chain after that. Smarter strapping could have made a strap work, but I figured chain will be the safest if it rubs on some corner I don't expect.

I still have a milk crate or 2 of straps. Use them for other things in the truck & trailer. Strapped down some cabinets & boxes recently. But I avoid them for big metal stuff like tractors & implements now.

/ Binders and chain #15  
When I worked for the dealer and was hauling equipment, I always tried to use chains and binders. If I did use straps and it was necessary to cross any edges, I would use some type of edge protectors. You can usually use sections of old fire hose, or ready made ones can be found at a truck equipment supply company.

/ Binders and chain #16  
Is it legal to use straps on a tractor? There is a chain hard to see here that holds it forward. Camera makes it lok a little funnt but the front strap is more over the wheel than it looks too. This scheme really clamps it to the deck and chain to keep it from rolling backward.
truck tractor.JPG

Last edited:
   / Binders and chain #17  
Is it legal to use straps on a tractor? There is a chain hard to see here that holds it forward. Camera makes it lok a little funnt but the front strap is more over the wheel than it looks too. This scheme really clamps it to the deck and chain to keep it from rolling backward. View attachment 699135
You need to use chain on equipment over 10,000lbs or for crushed cars according to regulations if I recall. Which generally means you are fine with straps for most of our equipment if you can safely attach them. Personally I figured it was safer & easier to move to chain.

/ Binders and chain #18  
Is it legal to use straps on a tractor? There is a chain hard to see here that holds it forward. Camera makes it lok a little funnt but the front strap is more over the wheel than it looks too. This scheme really clamps it to the deck and chain to keep it from rolling backward. View attachment 699135

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with straps especially ones that heavy but they’re not doing a very good job preventing forward or backwards moving the way they’re placed.

/ Binders and chain #19  
I agree with you Sberry, squishing the tires to the deck with wheel straps really seems secure. I like them too.

/ Binders and chain #20  
I have 3" nylon ratchet straps. I use them to strap down logs on my farm wagon. I move the logs around on my property. The straps keep the logs from moving and creating an unbalanced load. I stack the logs - 4, then 3, then 2. They would, most likely, never move - the straps are just added security.