Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge

/ Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I had a trailer tire flat the other evening it is cracked on the inside edge that is not exposed to the sun. At first I thought since it was on the right side and I drive on lots of narrow roads and that side drops of the edge of the pavement at times and that may have been the issue.

However, I looked at the left side and I saw the same cracks running around the circumference of the inside edge.

The tires are Goodyear Marathon in ST225/75R15 (run @ 65 psi) load range D on a 7k 18’ trailer. I have never had a flat or any issues with them.

They may be over 8 years old, but the DOT # is 2VHH the over a bit is MLHR.

I could see it if they crackEd on the outside edge, but the inside edge has me puzzled.

/ Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge #3  
And the Marathon by Goodyear was a China or Taiwan sourced tire that they imported. It's not known as being a desirable or reliable tire. It's a fine time to get some fresh rubber for your wheels.

/ Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge #4  
A good time to get some LT tires. That is all we had and they served us well before they invented ST will pops.

/ Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge
Trouble with LTs is no one makes a load range D or E for a 15” wheel that I know about.

Last edited:
   / Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge #6  
For just a few dollars, you can buy a shinny new set of 16" wheels. The tire will only be 1/2" larger in radius and will likely fit with no issue. I have converted several trailers from ST225/75R15 to LT225/75R16. No more blow outs, tread separations, or worries. The LT 16" tires actually have slightly higher load capacity. They are a very common tire size as it was the standard size on most class C motor home chassis for years. This means lots of good tire choices out there.

/ Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge #8  
A good time to get some LT tires. That is all we had and they served us well before they invented ST will pops.
No, you do not run LT tires on a trailer, that is what ST tires are for.

/ Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge #9  
No, you do not run LT tires on a trailer, that is what ST tires are for.
You can run whatever you want. My experience is that ST tires tend to have many more problems than LT tires, so that's why I run LTs on my trailers. And, as stated, that's all there was before somebody invented ST will pops.

/ Trailer (ST rated) Tires Cracking on Inside Edge #10  
If I could find a set of LT's that will fit without hitting my fenders when the trailers loaded, I'd do it in a minute. I'm actually considering moving my fenders up so I can run LT's. ST tires are no better than rubber bands IMHO, China bombs, will pops are all suitable names for the crap...........Mike