L2501 vs LX2610

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #1  

greginfinity

Tractor
L2501
Apparently Kubota tractors are now more rare than diamonds, and my local dealer has 4 tractors on the lot (where they normally must have 100). I was able to test out an LX3310 and an LX2610 SU. I have seat time behind an L4060 as well. They both seemed ok, but I think I want a little more weight in the tractor for stability and lift capacity. I know on paper they are similar (and there is a Messicks video to confirm), but you can tell the LX is a lighter frame so wouldn't carry a load as well. Also, the axles look tiny on the LX tractors and I definitely want to add spacers. From what I can tell, the L2501 has a much more robust rear end. Any thoughts there? I do like the seat on the LX3310, and the engine is definitely more refined, but at the cost of complexity and actual $.

I haven't been able to find an L2501 to test drive, but I assume it will be like LX2610 SU with extra stability? There is a location 2 hours away that says they will get some in two weeks but I will have to put it on hold to ensure it doesn't sell. So basically I will need to buy sight unseen. So I am wondering if there are things I will hate about it compared to the LX? Loader valve on the loader itself doesn't concern me. I think I would like the nicer seat that is on the LX (not SU) but that looks like a project I could tackle down the road for $1k.

Thanks for the help!

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #2  
When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first

• LX = 1,860
  • L2501 = 2,623
Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower.

tractor horsepower second

• LX2610 = 24.8/ 77 cubic inch engine
  • L2501 = 24.8/100 cubic inch engine

rear axle width third
(minimum tread width with R1/ag tires)
  • LX = 53.7"
  • L2501 = 55.1"

rear wheel/tire ballast fourth

• YES for LX
  • MAYBE for L2501

Last edited:
   / L2501 vs LX2610 #3  
I was in the some position as you were a couple months ago. I took Jeffs advice and got the L. Since Kubotas were so hard to find I bought mine unseen. But, since there is little difference in the L lines, I bought an L3301. I wanted a L2501 for the price difference but since the l3301 was what was available that is what I bought. I had the same concerns you have. I have no issue with the seat. I have no issue with the location of the loader control. It is in the exact spot I need it to be and it is intuitive. I had never had a treddle pedal and thought it may be a deal breaker but once i started to use it I really like it. It may be my prefered style now and I was very anti treddle going into the purchase. it is comforting when lifting and moving things that the significant weight is keeping me safe (I have loaded tires also). I do not regret my decision one bit.

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #4  
The B series you are looking at or the LX series are some of the largest of those tractors. The L2501 is at the bottom of the L frame series and they go up from there. I opted for the L2501 over the L3301 based on simplicity. The L2501 has no computer and no diesel particulate filter. It is probably as simple as a tractor gets today. I've had mine a couple of years and have zero complaints.

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #5  
^^^^
That’s why I purchased the L2501 over other options.

Mike

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #6  
I would have purchased the L2501 if i could have found one. It is a great tractor.

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #7  
I opted for the L2501 over the L3301 based on simplicity. The L2501 has no computer and no diesel particulate filter. It is probably as simple as a tractor gets today.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, the simple L2501, designed to skirt Tier IV emissions requirements, (legally) spews a lot of diesel particulates. According to those more knowledgeable than I on emissions, the L3301 with a Tier IV diesel particulate filter/incinerator spews less than 1% of the pollution load of an L2501 with a traditional, low-tech muffler.

Last edited:
   / L2501 vs LX2610 #8  
I opted for the L2501 over the L3301 based on simplicity. The L2501 has no computer and no diesel particulate filter. It is probably as simple as a tractor gets today.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, the simple L2501, designed to skirt Tier IV emissions requirements, (legally) spews a lot of diesel particulates. According to those more knowledgeable than I on emissions, the L3301 with a Tier IV diesel particulate filter/incinerator spews less than 1% of the pollution load of an L2501 with a traditional, low-tech muffler.

Good to know. Personally, I’m totally fine with the trade-off and comprise of simplicity vs. complexity and cost.

Mike

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #9  
I was in the some position as you were a couple months ago. I took Jeffs advice and got the L. Since Kubotas were so hard to find I bought mine unseen. But, since there is little difference in the L lines, I bought an L3301. I wanted a L2501 for the price difference but since the l3301 was what was available that is what I bought. I had the same concerns you have. I have no issue with the seat. I have no issue with the location of the loader control. It is in the exact spot I need it to be and it is intuitive. I had never had a treddle pedal and thought it may be a deal breaker but once i started to use it I really like it. It may be my prefered style now and I was very anti treddle going into the purchase. it is comforting when lifting and moving things that the significant weight is keeping me safe (I have loaded tires also). I do not regret my decision one bit.

Interesting comments on the treadle. For me, the Kubota treadle was nearly a deal-breaker before I bought. Especially when I compared Kubota's treadel to the the separate F & R type like the JD I preferred.

And yes..... the Kubota was awkward at first. But in a few weeks I began to like it and now I wouldn't change back. It's just a matter of getting used to it & both ways have advantages.

BTW, I don't use the treadle with heel & toe. Instead I move my foot slightly so that I end up using the same motion with the front of my foot for fwd & reverse.
rScotty

/ L2501 vs LX2610 #10  
I love my L2501 HST and could not be happier. It has done everything I tried to do with it, and almost always in 2 wheel drive. Ripping new areas with the box blade needs the front assist, and nice option to have....and the front end loader is sweet and smooth.
It's been raining for days here now, but can't wait to have more time on such a nice tractor...I'd buy the L if it were me.