Geezers Rule

/ Geezers Rule #11  
yup

i always thought playing in the tiger era would be like being a great hitter in baseball, in the same era as Ted Williams.
Always wondered how many home runs The Splendid Splinter (Ted Williams nickname) would have had if he didn’t miss all those years serving his country in combat?

700+?

/ Geezers Rule #12  
Always wondered how many home runs The Splendid Splinter (Ted Williams nickname) would have had if he didn’t miss all those years serving his country in combat?

700+?

I think 700 is in the ballpark given he missed 3 full years (in his prime) due to WWII and parts of other years due to Korea. He averaged something like 40 home runs per year.

MoKelly

/ Geezers Rule
I think 700 is in the ballpark given he missed 3 full years (in his prime) due to WWII and parts of other years due to Korea. He averaged something like 40 home runs per year.

MoKelly
Best story I read about him was in Korea? he was a pilot and his plane was going down. He didn't want to bail out because he would hurt his knees so....he rode it in.....cursing God the entire way down.

He made it.

Worst story was....I think he was 1/2 hispanic? but went out of his way to hide it. At one point many of his hispanic relatives gathered at an airport to meet him after he'd won some big award.

He went way out of his way to avoid them.

I guess The old saying about judging a person based on the culture at the time applies.

/ Geezers Rule #14  
Best story I read about him was in Korea? he was a pilot and his plane was going down. He didn't want to bail out because he would hurt his knees so....he rode it in.....cursing God the entire way down.

He made it.

Worst story was....I think he was 1/2 hispanic? but went out of his way to hide it. At one point many of his hispanic relatives gathered at an airport to meet him after he'd won some big award.

He went way out of his way to avoid them.

I guess The old saying about judging a person based on the culture at the time applies.

I’ve read he was not a nice guy. A jerk in fact.

Kind of the opposite of Stan Musial.

MoKelly

/ Geezers Rule #15  
His mother, May Venzor Williams was Hispanic American (what they popularized recently as “white hispanic” since the George Zimmerman case). She was from ElPaso, Texas.
Strange how if there’s any ethnicity other than “white” in someone, it’s their ethnicity. Barack *****, 1/2 white, but he’s ”black”, etc.
My mother in law has enough Native American (maybe 1/8th) to be considered of “Native American descent“. After knowing her for 30 years, nothings for sure, she’s white. Lol

/ Geezers Rule #16  
His mother, May Venzor Williams was Hispanic American (what they popularized recently as “white hispanic” since the George Zimmerman case). She was from ElPaso, Texas.
Strange how if there’s any ethnicity other than “white” in someone, it’s their ethnicity. Barack *****, 1/2 white, but he’s ”black”, etc.
My mother in law has enough Native American (maybe 1/8th) to be considered of “Native American descent“. After knowing her for 30 years, nothings for sure, she’s white. Lol
Spanish people, from Spain, I believe are for the most part, Caucasian, i.e. "white". The mixed race individuals, we used to call "Mexican", are what they call themselves, "Mestizos". I know when I lived in Albuquerque, I was around, and worked with a lot of people of Spanish descent...and those who were "white" DID NOT take well to being called "Mexican". They were White, and Spanish and they let you know it.