Geezers Rule

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH, Massey Ferguson & Kubota
yup

i always thought playing in the tiger era would be like being a great hitter in baseball, in the same era as Ted Williams.
Always wondered how many home runs The Splendid Splinter (Ted Williams nickname) would have had if he didn’t miss all those years serving his country in combat?

700+?

MoKelly

Top Poster Of Month
Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
Always wondered how many home runs The Splendid Splinter (Ted Williams nickname) would have had if he didn’t miss all those years serving his country in combat?

700+?

I think 700 is in the ballpark given he missed 3 full years (in his prime) due to WWII and parts of other years due to Korea. He averaged something like 40 home runs per year.

MoKelly

OP
Frankenkubota

Frankenkubota

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
I think 700 is in the ballpark given he missed 3 full years (in his prime) due to WWII and parts of other years due to Korea. He averaged something like 40 home runs per year.

MoKelly
Best story I read about him was in Korea? he was a pilot and his plane was going down. He didn't want to bail out because he would hurt his knees so....he rode it in.....cursing God the entire way down.

He made it.

Worst story was....I think he was 1/2 hispanic? but went out of his way to hide it. At one point many of his hispanic relatives gathered at an airport to meet him after he'd won some big award.

He went way out of his way to avoid them.

I guess The old saying about judging a person based on the culture at the time applies.

MoKelly

Top Poster Of Month
Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
Best story I read about him was in Korea? he was a pilot and his plane was going down. He didn't want to bail out because he would hurt his knees so....he rode it in.....cursing God the entire way down.

He made it.

Worst story was....I think he was 1/2 hispanic? but went out of his way to hide it. At one point many of his hispanic relatives gathered at an airport to meet him after he'd won some big award.

He went way out of his way to avoid them.

I guess The old saying about judging a person based on the culture at the time applies.

I’ve read he was not a nice guy. A jerk in fact.

Kind of the opposite of Stan Musial.

MoKelly

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH, Massey Ferguson & Kubota
His mother, May Venzor Williams was Hispanic American (what they popularized recently as “white hispanic” since the George Zimmerman case). She was from ElPaso, Texas.
Strange how if there’s any ethnicity other than “white” in someone, it’s their ethnicity. Barack Obama, 1/2 white, but he’s ”black”, etc.
My mother in law has enough Native American (maybe 1/8th) to be considered of “Native American descent“. After knowing her for 30 years, nothings for sure, she’s white. Lol

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
His mother, May Venzor Williams was Hispanic American (what they popularized recently as “white hispanic” since the George Zimmerman case). She was from ElPaso, Texas.
Strange how if there’s any ethnicity other than “white” in someone, it’s their ethnicity. Barack Obama, 1/2 white, but he’s ”black”, etc.
My mother in law has enough Native American (maybe 1/8th) to be considered of “Native American descent“. After knowing her for 30 years, nothings for sure, she’s white. Lol
Spanish people, from Spain, I believe are for the most part, Caucasian, i.e. "white". The mixed race individuals, we used to call "Mexican", are what they call themselves, "Mestizos". I know when I lived in Albuquerque, I was around, and worked with a lot of people of Spanish descent...and those who were "white" DID NOT take well to being called "Mexican". They were White, and Spanish and they let you know it.