HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040

/ HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040 #1  

speedracer2020

Tractor
john deere 2040
Hello all. Hate to bother you but I have a JD 2040 1977 variety tractor. As I am not the original owner so I decided before the mowing season arrived, I would perform some major maintenance - new belt, hoses, clamps, fluids, filters, indicator lamps, wash job, etc. I ran into a bit of a problem when it came to the generator/alternator belt. I got it loose from the various pulleys but it seems to run UNDER a shaft that appears to drive the hydraulic pump (in front of the radiator but behind the fuel tank). I can cut it but that doesn't help me get the new one back on. Access to the two bolts holding the shaft to the front engine drive pulley is limited. Do I remove the two bolts (hints on how to do that), hopefully the two spacers drop out and then I can slide the belt in-between then reverse the process?? So, bottom line, from all of your collected wisdom, how do I R&R this drive belt? THANKS....

/ HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040 #2  
   / HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040
Williy, I appreciated your quick and candid response. I neglected to mention that I do have an owners manual and the service manual and neither, to the best of my knowledge (while searching through the various sections), address the issue I am writing about. They mention setting the belt tension and that is all. IF someone has the service manual and can point me to the correct section/subsection that would be most helpful. Any other assistance will be greatly appreciated. THANKS AGAIN..

/ HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040 #4  
JD used three different pump drives. I have #3 on my 2030, (last drawing) for it, remove the two coupler halves key 6. Then you can remove the belt. Check the rubber bushings, key 5, replace if worn.
2040pumpdrive1.JPG
2040pumpdrive2.JPG
2040pumpdrive3.JPG

/ HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040 #5  
I have a 2440 and when the belt on it started to fail I removed it and put in a sectional drive belt. Took 20 minutes and saved a bunch of work. A year later still going strong.
68B523D2-57A3-420C-8DE8-E3F2D284BB4C.jpeg

/ HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040 #6  
I have a 2440 and when the belt on it started to fail I removed it and put in a sectional drive belt. Took 20 minutes and saved a bunch of work. A year later still going strong. View attachment 700164
Which drive does yours have? I've only seen the one shown in the last drawing in post #4

/ HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040 #7  
The "link belt" shown in post #5 would be the way I'd go. I put one on my lathe and it's held up for years. Having to disassemble the head on a lathe to change a belt convinced me. HF used to carry them for about $20 as I recall.

Otherwise, you have to unbolt the pump and slide it back (foreword) enough to open a gap.

JD used three different pump drives. I have #3 on my 2030, (last drawing) for it, remove the two coupler halves key 6. Then you can remove the belt. Check the rubber bushings, key 5, replace if worn. View attachment 700159View attachment 700160View attachment 700161
My tractor uses the center type pump setup. IF I don't go with the option presented by 'tinhack' I was thinking of removing the radiator, undoing the two nut/bolts at the coupler on the engine drive plate and then 'snaking' the belt in that small area then reassembling. A lot of work at best. I had read that to remove the pump I could remove the cotter pin #9 then slide the shaft back. GREAT if the shaft isn't rusted. IF it is, well good luck...

I have a 2440 and when the belt on it started to fail I removed it and put in a sectional drive belt. Took 20 minutes and saved a bunch of work. A year later still going strong. View attachment 700164
You may be on to something here. IF you don't mind me asking WHERE did you purchase this belt? What size and model/part number did you use. Thanks..

/ HELP - Alternator/Generator Belt Removal/Installation - JD2040 #10  
You may be on to something here. IF you don't mind me asking WHERE did you purchase this belt? What size and model/part number did you use. Thanks..

Do a google search for ‘link belt’. You should get plenty of results.
You need to know the width of your belt (A, B) length is usually by measuring and taking apart a link.