Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion)

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #11  
Simplest test is as other mention remove cap and try it or check cap vent.... A vacuum in tank will keep fuel for being drawn to carburetor...

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion)
Does it have a low oil shutoff?

I believe so - I'll have to double check. I had that thought as well, so I checked the oil right away and there's plenty (changed it recently). It's possible the switch has gone bad though. This would certainly explain why it's shutting off so quickly.

Try running it with the fuel cap off or loose. It may be the vent clogged in the cap.

Simplest test is as other mention remove cap and try it or check cap vent.... A vacuum in tank will keep fuel for being drawn to carburetor...

Yes, that's one of the first things I tried. No change - And there weren't any sucking noises when I loosened it either. Plus, wouldn't this result in some sputtering as the mixture leaned out, rather than the sudden shutdown?

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #13  
OK, this one's a bit weird to me.

I have a late-90s Simplicity Legacy (prior to the XL model) with a Kohler engine. I was working in the yard, driving around a corner when boom, my engine just quit suddenly. It was as if I had shut it off. No sputtering, no nothing.

After looking at it for a couple minutes to make sure there wasn't anything that should have done that, I decided to see if it was a fluke. I was able to start it right back up, but after 5-10 seconds it quit again. Started it a third time, and it lasted maybe 3-4 seconds, a fourth time and it lasted only about a second or two. Let it sit for a bit while I pondered what might cause that, and tried one more time - After the pause, it was back up to running 4-5 seconds.

Again, never any sputtering, it just shuts off suddenly.

It seems like a fuel problem to me. I wanted to at least get it back up to the garage tonight, so I took off the air cleaner and squirted some starter fluid in there. It didn't stay on, so still something wrong, but I was able to drive it up to the garage by giving it a squirt of starter fluid every couple of seconds.

Now for the weird part: Once it was parked in the garage and stopped, after another squirt or two it just kept running. Ran fine for probably a minute, but as soon as I went to move it forward, it quit. Gave it another squirt, started it back up, let it run, worked fine so I tried to back it up a foot or two. Boom, quit.

Now, a tractor that only runs when it's not moving is pretty worthless... Does anyone have an idea of what would cause this? I would think a blockage in the tank wouldn't make it shut off so suddenly, nor would a clogged fuel line/filter let it run just fine as long as it isn't moving.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
If it's a has sounds like a sticking float needle valve.

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #14  
Sometimes the ignition coil will start failing when it gets hot. I've had 2 mowers that did this. Replacement ignition coils aren't cheap but will generally fix the shut-down problem.

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #15  
Sounds dumb but add some Sea Foam. I've add engines run oddly and quit but after adding some Sea Foam they straightened right out. Beats me but I suspect it dissolves dirt blockages and modern ethanol gas problems.

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #16  
I have a cub cadet xt1 it had rubber hoses and
the nice gas we have to put up with will dissolve
the black hose and plug up cab. I threw the black
hoses away and put in clear plastic tubing that I
purchased from the lumber company also added a
shut off valve and installed a electric fuel pump
cost approx $10 so turn on the key and starts up no cranking saving on starter???

willy

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #17  
Turn it upside down and shake it.

Seriously, have you checked to see if it's getting fuel to the carburetor?

Yes, you got issues. No, why not? Plugged fuel line, stuck float, gummed up needle, Russians

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #18  
Start with a new fuel filter. Then replace the gas lines as the old ones may have deteriorated. Then start on the carb cleaning. Stop with the starter fluid before you damage something. Try just dripping some gas into the carb if you need to move it.

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion)
Sounds dumb but add some Sea Foam. I've add engines run oddly and quit but after adding some Sea Foam they straightened right out. Beats me but I suspect it dissolves dirt blockages and modern ethanol gas problems.

I have a cub cadet xt1 it had rubber hoses and
the nice gas we have to put up with will dissolve
the black hose and plug up cab.

I religiously run ethanol-free gas, even though I have to drive a half hour each way to a small municipal airport which is the closest place I can buy it.

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #20  
You said your machine is a late 90’s model.
After 20+ years, some more detailed maintenance beyond changing an air filter, oil and filter, spark plug(s) and fuel filter is past due.
Change the fuel cap, clean out the fuel tank, replace all fuel lines, clean the carb.
One of the best at least yearly activities you can do for any “small” gas engine that will sit unused for a prolonged period, is drain the fuel tank (or sacrifice a tank full of fuel to be drained in the spring) then run the engine until it will not run any longer. If you decide to leave the tank full, install a shut off valve in the fuel line then run engine until it dies. The reason for a full tank is to avoid condensation. This is a good practice for after mowing if you live in a humid area especially as a 20 degree drop from daytime highs to overnight lows can produce a lot of moisture, just walk across your yard of an early morning. Cooler air can not hold as much moisture as hot air. The air in your tank cools with the outside air overnight, perhaps a bit slower.