Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion)

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #31  
Since you claim to have rebuilt the carburator last year,surly you know how to ascertain whether gas is filling bowl. Is it?

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #32  
This happened on my friend's Kubota BX diesel, but only when his wife was driving it. I figured out that the seat spring was too stiff for her 110 pound weight to keep the engine from cutting out. I took one spring out and it has been fine ever since. My Kubota B7510 recently cut out on a cold morning while running the generator. It started up immediately once I sat on the driver's seat, of course. It was too cold to fool with it, so it finished its job with a bag of mortar on the seat.

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion) #33  
Are you sure that you're getting spark? If it was an older engine I'd say that the condenser was bad, but I doubt that you have points on a '90s machine.
It sounds like you've gotten the fuel angle covered. A loose wire, or as previously suggested a bad switch can have the results you describe. It also can be the biggest PITA to diagnose.

Or you could call a priest, to exorcise that ghost. :D

/ Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion)
Well, I wanted to follow up on this... The mystery is solved, finally.

After doing a BUNCH of things without 100% success, the one that finally worked was replacing the fuel pump. When I took the old pump apart, I found that the linkage inside it was loose in such a fashion that it could rotate, and if it rotated just right it lined up with a keyhole in the arm that's activated by the rocker, at which point it would cease pumping.

Apparently, given enough tinkering and swearing, it would once again rotate to where it would work, and I would think it was fixed for a period of time.

Since replacing the pump early this summer, it has worked fine.

If you look at the second image, you can see the "T" coming through the arm. First image, not there because it's rotated and went through the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_1861.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51