Ghost in the tractor... (Engine suddenly quits with motion)

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
Re-reading the original post I'm thinking more of an electrical fault, like a wire that's broken or a connection that is loose. When the fuel runs low the engine sputters as it goes lean, rather than cutting off like it was switched off as the OP describes.

A lot of things could be the problem but one I don't think has been mentioned is the seat safety switch and it's wiring.

OP
M

macindude

Tractor
Simplicity Legacy
Well... Before I pulled the carb apart I decided to replace the fuel filter and check for fuel flow to the filter and check the fuel pump. There was fuel in the filter and the lines on either side of it, and the fuel that was in the filter flowed freely through in the correct direction when I drained it. However, it seems like there isn't much fuel flowing to the filter in the first place, so it may be a blockage at the pickup in the tank, or in the line itself.
After 20+ years, some more detailed maintenance beyond changing an air filter, oil and filter, spark plug(s) and fuel filter is past due.
Change the fuel cap, clean out the fuel tank, replace all fuel lines, clean the carb.
Yeah, I'm going to replace all the lines. They're definitely getting long in the tooth. The cap seems fine, though.
One of the best at least yearly activities you can do for any “small” gas engine that will sit unused for a prolonged period, is drain the fuel tank (or sacrifice a tank full of fuel to be drained in the spring) then run the engine until it will not run any longer.
I run it all year round - Mower, leaf blower, snowblower - And in the spring and fall when it may sit for a bit I do leave it with a full tank.

dirttoys

Silver Member
Tractor
ac 170 bobcat 773 tak 235
Well... Before I pulled the carb apart I decided to replace the fuel filter and check for fuel flow to the filter and check the fuel pump. There was fuel in the filter and the lines on either side of it, and the fuel that was in the filter flowed freely through in the correct direction when I drained it. However, it seems like there isn't much fuel flowing to the filter in the first place, so it may be a blockage at the pickup in the tank, or in the line itself.

Yeah, I'm going to replace all the lines. They're definitely getting long in the tooth. The cap seems fine, though.

I run it all year round - Mower, leaf blower, snowblower - And in the spring and fall when it may sit for a bit I do leave it with a full tank.
See #8 LOL:)

Sounds like you are on the right track!

Best,

ed