Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #11  
I mowed some forest trails the other day that were a full carpet of poison ivy. Gotta hit em again here shortly to make sure it's killed back.

There's grass seed blends made for shade. It works ok.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #12  
Looking for some ideas to help with erosion in my wooded areas. I made some trails last winter but they're always muddy and are eroding really fast. Anything I can throw down that will sort of grow under trees? The shorter the better but I'm open to any ideas.
vinca grows well here. I've got a couple of forest hillsides covered in it. Ferns seem to grow up in it, but ferns might be an option too.

Want me to send you a truck load ;-)

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #13  
vinca grows well here. I've got a couple of forest hillsides covered in it. Ferns seem to grow up in it, but ferns might be an option too.

Want me to send you a truck load ;-)
Vinca is the same thing as Periwinkle.

We have ferns growing out of Periwinkle. Ferns are very good at taking things over, so be careful what you wish for. We had maybe 3-4 about 5 years ago. Now we tear out several dozen each year from the same space. Yikes. And the migrate underground very fast, too.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #14  
Plantain likes traffic and shade.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas
The beauty of poison ivy is that it's free and willing to do the job with zero maintenance. :p
I got a good dose of poison ivy last year and it was anything but beautiful. lol

Anyone ever tried Subterranean Clover?

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #16  
Vinca is the same thing as Periwinkle.

We have ferns growing out of Periwinkle. Ferns are very good at taking things over, so be careful what you wish for. We had maybe 3-4 about 5 years ago. Now we tear out several dozen each year from the same space. Yikes. And the migrate underground very fast, too.
I positively dislike ferns. A great wasteland of monoculture. I pull it constantly, but,,, i'm only one guy with other priorities.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #17  
I got a good dose of poison ivy last year and it was anything but beautiful. lol

Anyone ever tried Subterranean Clover?

That is generally a crop for warm, sunny areas.

You could try crown vetch, but unless there is reasonable sun, it is going to have a hard time. Worst case you are out a few dollars for seed.

Honestly, if you don't have much growing there now, it is going to be tough, without getting into things that you probably don't want like aggressive weeds such as poison oak, or kudzu.

All the best,

Peter

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #18  
"In the wake of great armies

Thorns spring up."

There is a lot of reality in the above quotation.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #19  
The ferns ate my gas meter. These are less than 4 weeks from emergence and already 3' tall.

BD942266-FDAA-4FAD-8CEC-2E5899C26724.jpeg