Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,361  
Our 1970 had bench seats and 3 on the tree. My wife could sit next to me. I miss that aspect of older cars. I could put my arm around her and shift left handed or she could shift for me. She had a 71 Chevelle with bench seats. When she drove, I'd sit next to her. People gave me the weird eye for that. :ROFLMAO:
Better seen getting frisky in the front seat of a Chevelle than a Chevette. 🤪

Chevelle was not a bad looking car.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,362  
Read in the local rag that 'Lordstown Motors' probably won't ever produce the electric pickup truck they want to make... reason... Not enough capital. I see their stock has sunk to almost nothing.
Just another case where millions of dollars went to people that never produced anything. I'm sure we'll see more of that associated with EV manufacturing.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,363  
Read in the local rag that 'Lordstown Motors' probably won't ever produce the electric pickup truck they want to make... reason... Not enough capital. I see their stock has sunk to almost nothing.
If these electric trucks are the planet saving miracle they are touted to be, you’d think there would be people competing to give them capital or low interest loans to build them.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,364  
We were at a botanical garden in Stillwater, OK a few weeks ago and I noticed a Husqvarna robotic mower docked in a corner near a building. The lawn in the gardens looked nice. I've never seen one in operation. It would be tempting to have one in our small backyard. I'm also tempted to get a robotic vacuum at home, but I wonder how many cat toys it would eat.
i've got a roomba and, imho, like many solutions, it does about a 90% job. i'm always resweeping.

no big deal, i'm going to knit a dog hair sweater.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,366  
I am not seeing the benefit to an EV for a low mileage driver or anyone who likes more than 1 vehicle like I do (we have 5). The warranty on the batteries is, what, 10 years? My wife's car is a 2015 with about 15,000 miles on it and none of the other 4 get many miles either.

In this pandemic world (we are not done with this one and it will not be the last one) many people are going to be driving less. People are working at home more and driving fewer miles. My wife has underlying conditions underlying her other conditions and she is saying she will not be going out nearly as much in the future.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,368  
I am not seeing the benefit to an EV for a low mileage driver or anyone who likes more than 1 vehicle like I do (we have 5). The warranty on the batteries is, what, 10 years? My wife's car is a 2015 with about 15,000 miles on it and none of the other 4 get many miles either.

In this pandemic world (we are not done with this one and it will not be the last one) many people are going to be driving less. People are working at home more and driving fewer miles. My wife has underlying conditions underlying her other conditions and she is saying she will not be going out nearly as much in the future.
My wife and I both have short commutes to work. I do about 11 miles a day. She did about 10 (now she commutes to the living room for the past year, working from home). We could really do OK with an electric vehicle or even 2 of them (we always have 3 vehicles), if the overall price of ownership was comparable to an internal combustion powered vehicle.

I've had two ICE powered vehicles lose engines in the past 2 years. Bodies were still good, so we re-engined for around $2500 each. How much does a battery pack cost for an electric car cost? I'm seeing $3000-$7000.

I'd really have to put pencil to paper and figure all the costs associated with both types. But I can see us owning at least one electric car in the next 10 years or so if the used market seems favorable.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,369  

EVs will come into their hay day when today's 30 year olds turn 45 and today's green EV technology gets more ripe.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,370  
There definitely will need to be a lot of thought put into the decision to go EV or not and the fewer vehicles owned the better since the clocks continue to tick away on a battery even if it is not driven as much.

There is some truth to that in an ICE engine too, but if I drive them once a week or so I never have had a problem.

As for ICE engine failures, I have been fortunate. Never a major engine repair ever and I have been driving for a long time. I had a timing belt break at an intersection once if that counts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.