Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,401  
I wonder how the drought situation in the west (especially in areas dependent on hydro power) will affect EV implementation. Lower levels behind the hydro dams=less output.
No one's building any new coal or nuke plants, wind and solar can only provide so much.

While properly equipped coal plants can be fairly clean, you've got to look at the big picture. Mining of it is anything but.

I wouldn't call myself a naysayer, but I do question a lot of the hype on EVs. The gov't is kind of forcing automakers towards EVs with overly strict fuel economy/emissions regulations. Personally, I see EVs having a place (commuter/city cars), but I also see it remaining a niche market for quite some time to come, I definitely don't expect them to be mainstream in my lifetime.

I haven't read every single post in this thread, but what about as these vehicles get older? Let's for argument's sake that the batteries will be good for 8 years. They're quite expensive, and are likely to remain so. That's gonna put a crimp in desirability for used vehicles, and not everyone can afford to buy new.
Also, the technology is changing quite rapidly. How backward-compatible are new batteries (or for that matter the electronics that control the car) with old vehicles? Are dealers (sounds like independent mechanics are being shut out of all this) going to keep a large, pricey inventory on hand for 10+ year old cars?
Pointless virtue signaling.
I have not watched in years but....South Park did an episode on the Prius I think set in San Francisco.

They called it the pious?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,402  
If these electric trucks are the planet saving miracle they are touted to be, you’d think there would be people competing to give them capital or low interest loans to build them.
There are, and there were, but these investors aren't stupid. You can be in the right industry with a bad business plan and people will eventually figure it out. If having a startup fail was indication of a failed market we'd still be banging rocks together to cook our dinner.

Pointless virtue signaling.
If you think Bjorn is on to something you should check out the part of his essay that Breitbart left out for some odd reason. You can read it here but he concludes by saying:

"The one individual action that citizens could take that would make a difference would be to demand a vast increase in spending on green-energy research and development, so that these energy sources eventually become cheap enough to outcompete fossil fuels. That is the real way to help fight climate change."

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,403  
"The one individual action that citizens could take that would make a difference would be to demand a vast increase in spending on green-energy research and development, so that these energy sources eventually become cheap enough to outcompete fossil fuels. That is the real way to help fight climate change."
I think where a lot of people disagree with that statement is when government tips the scales by forcing changes on us through regulations. There are as many scientists that say man made global warming IS NOT true as say it IS true.
Why make all these changes, if global warming is just a natural cycle the earth has been going through for millions of years?
Even if automobile exhaust contributes a minuscule amount, is it really worth putting out trillions of dollars, which could collapse entire nation‘s economies, create chaos and world instability on a macro level based on a theory which may or may not be true?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,404  
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Range Tested In The Worst Conditions.

Well I know nothing about this brand but for somebody thinking about buying a EV in the next 5 years this is actually a good article to start with to better understand EVS. The advertisement is misleading from almost anything but it applies to ev's as well and the range is the big thing many people get thrown off on if they're just reading the sellers ads.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,405  
Global warming is only one of the reasons to quit burning fossil fuels. Ocean acidification is another. We have 7.9 billion people to feed, and if the world fisheries collapse a lot of them are going to get hungry.
A unilateral global warming fix is simply feel good stuff!
When India, and China act to participate in a fix, there might be meaningful improvements.
China is building one coal fired electric plant per week,.... while the USA is busy choking down 25HP+ tractors.
Pure childhood (think Greta Thunberg) fantasy!

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,406  
The grease burners are headed for the scrap yard. I'm sure that makes the fogeys feel insecure, but they will get over it. It was the same with computers 30 years ago, with the early adopters having fun and the vast majority standing around with drool running out of their mouths. Everybody knows the plug-in hybrids are a stopgap - too many parts - but they are better around town vehicles than any ICE car.
Grease burners? Man, you must be living somewhere strange. We burn gas or diesel over here.
Just don’t complain when products delivered, farmed, logged, or manufactured arent there anymore. Maybe some people are fine living with their electric car, but products still have to be moved for civilizations to exist.
You think this theory of global warming only applies to cars? Lol... Your climate change science hero’s want everything changed to their “standards“ based on theories that have just as many qualified, intelligent doubters as supporters. Why aren’t the doubters voices being heard?
We can’t even get nuclear power plants built cause some minnow or frog might be impacted, but take all ICE cars away from people? All that does is force poor people to walk, ride bikes, take violent subways and takes away the freedom and upward mobility.
More benefits for the privileged class, while the working man suffers.
We need better, more accurate science. Not the junk science we got like when Covid hit.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,407  
Needs.... what are the Needs.....

Britain is getting Out in Front, by banning sales of ICE engines not that many years from now.

If you Need to clean up the air in London, UK, maybe this is the right move. If you are a Vet(erinarian) in the north of Scotland, and Need to make rounds in the dead of Winter at all hours to keep local farmers potentially solvent, maybe not so much.

The acid-test for me is when the UK flips ALL of their EMS vehicles to ALL electric...... I strongly suspect that won't be the same time as the public cutoff.

But.... back to Needs. Air has cleaned up noticeably with the lack of global passenger air-travel due to Covid. Why do we Need to go back to non-medical passenger air-travel ?

Same for cruise-ships. One cruise ship trip will burn more fuel than I will, driving a big-block p/u the rest of my life. Why do we Need cruise ships ?

Why do we Need missions to Mars - how about some honesty about what one of those launches dumps into the air ?

Why do we Need drive-thru's ? How about some honesty about how much fuel gets burned up in those every hour ?

What Green Need are we addressing by flooding the planet with EVs, when meaningful Lithium battery recycling doesn't exist ?

^..... Some of why some of us get a little Bent, about somebody potentially deciding what our Needs are......

Winter is the End Limit for Transportation here....... One Winter I did a 600km drive (one way) after a massive ice-storm, to take a generator to my sister.

Power out, wide-scale. I had enough fuel with me, to make the drive there and back. No electric vehicle exists (and, maybe never will, in my lifetime) that would have met that Need.

Needs Must..... London UK used plenty of electric vehicles during WWII.

Right Tool for the Job...... I own a big-block diesel, and a hybrid, and one day will likely have an EV for local use.

Being pro-choice about Transportation does not 100% correlate to being anti-technology.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,408  
Needs.... what are the Needs.....

Britain is getting Out in Front, by banning sales of ICE engines not that many years from now.

If you Need to clean up the air in London, UK, maybe this is the right move. If you are a Vet(erinarian) in the north of Scotland, and Need to make rounds in the dead of Winter at all hours to keep local farmers potentially solvent, maybe not so much.

The acid-test for me is when the UK flips ALL of their EMS vehicles to ALL electric...... I strongly suspect that won't be the same time as the public cutoff.

But.... back to Needs. Air has cleaned up noticeably with the lack of global passenger air-travel due to Covid. Why do we Need to go back to non-medical passenger air-travel ?

Same for cruise-ships. One cruise ship trip will burn more fuel than I will, driving a big-block p/u the rest of my life. Why do we Need cruise ships ?

Why do we Need missions to Mars - how about some honesty about what one of those launches dumps into the air ?

Why do we Need drive-thru's ? How about some honesty about how much fuel gets burned up in those every hour ?

What Green Need are we addressing by flooding the planet with EVs, when meaningful Lithium battery recycling doesn't exist ?

^..... Some of why some of us get a little Bent, about somebody potentially deciding what our Needs are......

Winter is the End Limit for Transportation here....... One Winter I did a 600km drive (one way) after a massive ice-storm, to take a generator to my sister.

Power out, wide-scale. I had enough fuel with me, to make the drive there and back. No electric vehicle exists (and, maybe never will, in my lifetime) that would have met that Need.

Needs Must..... London UK used plenty of electric vehicles during WWII.

Right Tool for the Job...... I own a big-block diesel, and a hybrid, and one day will likely have an EV for local use.

Being pro-choice about Transportation does not equate to being anti-technology.

Rgds, D.
Airlines, cruise ship companies and Mcdonalds are big businesses. Those in charge don’t want to hurt them.
No, this disputable change will only hurt the poor and the working class. Coastal elites can afford several electric cars, but try telling a single parent trying to get to work in a $1500 car, he/she has to turn it in on an electric car, or ride a bike/walk.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,409  
Airlines, cruise ship companies and Mcdonalds are big businesses. Those in charge don’t want to hurt them.
No, this disputable change will only hurt the poor and the working class. Coastal elites can afford several electric cars, but try telling a single parent trying to get to work in a $1500 car, he/she has to turn it in on an electric car.
With you there, 100%.

We both know what the (unspoken, but real) answer From On High is:

Sucks to Be You....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,410  
With you there, 100%.

We both know what the (unspoken, but real) answer From On High is:

Sucks to Be You....

Rgds, D.
Yup.
I wouldn’t mind owning EVs. Even without the debatable impacts on the environment you eloquently pointed out, I see their appeal. I am doing ok and although it’ll take a bite out of my wealth, I can probably swing it.
Its the people that can’t afford this, the poor, the young just getting started out, the forgotten people I feel for.

Status
Not open for further replies.