Need ideas for dog proof fence

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #11  
Now I don't have a dog in the fence. I use a wireless containment system which does not require burying a wire. It has an adjustable transmitter which sends a signal out, and he wears a receiver on his collar. If you can make a circular boundary work it's a fantastic solution, and you can't beat the "install".

That wouldn't work to contain my old German Shepherd, he needed a physical boundary AND a shock. For the dog we have now the wireless fence is fantastic. It took very little training for him to figure it out, and we can take the transmitter with us and set up if we go camping or stay with friends who are dog friendly also.

You can pair multiple transmitters to enlarge the area he can roam by setting them up so they overlap.

As to smelling the fence, I have no idea. At the old house, I learned that the fence could be turned off and they would still keep a great distance. If it was left off long term they would figure it out somehow and eventually dig out or jump the fence. The German Shepherd was incredibly intelligent and had an insatiable desire to get loose and run. And run and run and run and run and RUN and run. He would periodically test the fence in various places. I assumed it was his testing that allowed him to figure it out, as the first time it took months before he got out. After that it was always accidental (wire grounding out somehow or the charger went bad). Perhaps smell had something to do with it.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #12  
The Fido-shock is an AC high voltage/low current signal. Most cattle fences I've encountered were DC. Maybe AC doesn't give of much Ozone smell?
Patrick

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #13  
When one of my girls goes into heat, the boy will do almost anything to get to her. I've built the fence as solid as possible, but he will dig, or just keep jumping on it to weaken it. When I added a hot wire, his attitude changed dramatically. He still wants into the area that the girl is in, but now he just goes back and forth along the fence without touching it.

One zap works wonders at how they treat a fence!!!
Never knew a cat could crap more than three times in sixth seconds until I seen one keep jumping on a hot wire.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #14  
When one of my girls goes into heat, the boy will do almost anything to get to her. I've built the fence as solid as possible, but he will dig, or just keep jumping on it to weaken it. When I added a hot wire, his attitude changed dramatically. He still wants into the area that the girl is in, but now he just goes back and forth along the fence without touching it.

One zap works wonders at how they treat a fence!!!
My experience too!

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #15  
I have used an invisible fence for my dog. He is very smart and figured out how to time the zaps to get out. So we bought the petsafe brand stubborn dog collar receiver. He doesn't attempt anymore.

If your property is open enough to bury a wire easily with a subsoiler, I would go that route. Bury the wire about 6 inches and you won't have a problem. Go with a heavier wire than what comes with the fence kit.

It's also nice because you can turn it off if you want to take the dogs out of the boundaries.

I have a 2500ft spool of 14awg tracer wire for this thst we decided not to install on our new property because our dogs are getting old and lazy. I would be willing to part with it if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
   / Need ideas for dog proof fence #16  
I saw a picture of a coyote proof fence at one point online, it was basically a normal fence with a cable across the top with two nested PVC pipes over the top cable, makes it roll extra easy and once they get their torso on it they roll backward instead of over the fence...

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #17  
I use an electric net fencing with a good charger from Premier1Supplies. Dogs stay on the correct side, deer/rabbits/groundhogs stay out of the garden, and sheep/goats stay where they are supposed to. Easy to move when I want, do need to keep the weeds/grass mowed off the fence, easy when I move the fence first.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #18  
I would actually assume cows don’t smell the hot wire but feel it. Now I gotta go research...

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #19  
Our previous 2 labs were roamers and like the op eventually found neighbors that didn't appreciate them in their yard. Our first attempt at controlling them was the Invisible Fence brand of shock collar. After doing the training the black lab got hit once and never went near the boundary again. The Fox Red lab (my avatar) was a different story. He wasn't deterred by getting a whack. Since we had two collars available (the black lab didn't need hers anymore) I made one collar out of the 2. Still didn't stop him. He would lay down on some bushes right at the edge of the boundary and whine and whine. Then in a flash he would get up and bolt right thru the field.
In the end I fenced off over an acre in our back yard extending into the woods. I used 4X4's and turkey wire. As almost all of the fence was in the woods my wife was ok with its looks. All was good until we got our next pair of labs.
The new black lab climbed right over it. I had never seen a dog do that! The solution ended up being a solar powered fence charger. The wire was on standoffs at the top of the fence. I never did see that lab take a hit from it but she never got out again.

/ Need ideas for dog proof fence #20  
I've had good luck with the buried fence and collar,
But before this I used a standard cattle fencer with 2 strands of narrow ribbon worked great on a shepard mix and a lab mix.