Hot hot hot

/ Hot hot hot #11  
Wisconsin and Michigan aren't very used to these kind of droughts. Even though we're 5-6" down on accumulated rainfall this year, the plants look ok somehow. Still a lush green jungle at my place.

/ Hot hot hot
Thanks Bart!

For anyone not familiar with my longwinded posts :) here's what I built for watering 125 new apple trees:
kimg0712rwateronslope-jpg.434833

- Harbor Freight 40" x 48" trailer. (Used, $25). I added larger 13" tires to tow more easily on my steep, disced soft surface.
This trailer is exactly the size of a pallet.
- IBC Tote. Perfect fit on the trailer.
- Submersible 12 volt bilge pump (Link) down inside the Tote. Output at a new tree's reservoir is 15+ GPM.
I drain the last water out of the Tote at the end of each project, so the pump isn't left submerged.
- Plastic elbow and pipe to keep the pump upright. (Photo).
- 1 1/8" pool sweep flexible hose.
- Lawn sprinkler anti-siphon valve at the highest point above the tank. This breaks the siphon effect after the pump is shut off.
- Aluminum watering wand - was thin conduit or something. Fits the pool sweep hose. Its light weight is easier to lift as I depart to the next new tree.
- Brackets on tractor, to hold the watering wand as I drive.

Weight of the loaded trailer is 2600 lbs, exceeding the rated 900 lbs. But I don't need highway-level safety margin. A bent tongue is the only thing I've had to repair in a decade. (Bent trying to back uphill with the original 8" tires embedded to the rims in soft fluffy soil. The tongue folded instead. Get bigger wheels and tires).

Presently with the risk of fire so high, I leave this trailer next to my 1500 gallon tank visible from the lane, where anyone could fill it and tow it for firefighting if things go all to h*** this summer. I'm only 10 miles downwind from the worst fire in California history last year and similar the year before. A lot of fine ash and charcoal rained down both times, spot fires are possible. It's going to be interesting ...

It was your pixs that got me motivated to make my 55-gallon trailer with hand pump. THANKS. (y)

/ Hot hot hot
We are down about 8" of rain this season and like the OP, it is getting bad. Bad fire down by the OP's city too....don't breathe that smoke!

10 videos showing massive fire at Chemtool in Rockton - Insider Paper

That fire is about 5-miles from the homestead. I'm a tad up-wind, not by much. Chemtool's been burning now for 5+ hrs.

The city next to us and south went FULL EVACUATION. The toxic fumes in the air is the issue, not the heat of the fire. It's so dark, locals say it's a long solar eclipse. The smoke is from all those B-12 penetration oils, plasti-dip, brake-cleaner, CRC fuel injection cleaners, etc.

Like lumber prices, expect a HUGE increase in lubricants and oils starting this week.

/ Hot hot hot #15  
That fire is about 5-miles from the homestead. I'm a tad up-wind, not by much. Chemtool's been burning now for 5+ hrs.

The city next to us and south went FULL EVACUATION. The toxic fumes in the air is the issue, not the heat of the fire. It's so dark, locals say it's a long solar eclipse. The smoke is from all those B-12 penetration oils, plasti-dip, brake-cleaner, CRC fuel injection cleaners, etc.

Like lumber prices, expect a HUGE increase in lubricants and oils starting this week.
I worked in that building back in the 80s when Beloit Corp owned it. I ran a big G&L boring bar and was next to the assy floor. I also had 2 uncles that worked there.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't want to breathe that smoke.

/ Hot hot hot
I worked in that building back in the 80s when Beloit Corp owned it. I ran a big G&L boring bar and was next to the assy floor. I also had 2 uncles that worked there.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't want to breathe that smoke.

I'm at work, seems everyone is glued to the windows or the LIVE FEED. We are a few doors down from the fire hall. Sirens all morning. Many trucks from WI came thru the stateline too. Not all firetrucks can handle petroleum products. They are allowing it to 'burn-off' because putting it out would mean a larger EPA bill should it then leak into the Rock River.

Not like this guy carries much weight with the locals here, he did deploy some assistance.

1623693062959.png

/ Hot hot hot #17  
Any liquid will run right down to the Rock River behind the plant. The river is already getting PFAS from fire fighting foam (bad stuff) from the Yahara river so this is just bad. I would assume the pumpers can get river water out at the road.?

/ Hot hot hot
Any liquid will run right down to the Rock River behind the plant. The river is already getting PFAS from fire fighting foam (bad stuff) from the Yahara river so this is just bad. I would assume the pumpers can get river water out at the road.?

The roadway and then to the river is over 500FT. I would assume they could pull up water there. The Rock River is already 6-inches too low in this drought we have going on for over a month.

It's so much sandy soil out this way, so the local wells get that stuff too.

/ Hot hot hot #19  
Oh man that fire and smoke plume is just awful. Not much to do except let it burn out. You dont want those chemical products being washed down into the river, or PFAS from firefighting foam. Chemical plants sited right next to rivers... seems so dumb now.

/ Hot hot hot
Oh man that fire and smoke plume is just awful. Not much to do except let it burn out. You dont want those chemical products being washed down into the river, or PFAS from firefighting foam. Chemical plants sited right next to rivers... seems so dumb now.

1/2 hour ago the winds changed, the plume shifted as it starts heading our way.

:eek:

DSCF8491md.jpg